Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
northshields
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Estimated Speed and IP Profile

Go to solution

Recently, after a mistake by BT, my Infinity2 was downgraded to Infinity1. That has now been resolved and Infinity2 restored but I seem to be getting slower speeds than I did before.

The confirmation email I got from BT said "We estimate your download speed will be 73Mb..." However, when I did the test on the BT Wholesale site, I got a result of 54.8Mb with a maximum said to be 56Mb. Furthermore, the IP profile for my line was said to be 56Mbps.

Is there a contradiction between the estimated speed and the IP profile?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Estimated Speed and IP Profile

Go to solution

Hi @northshields,

It's possible that, even though your package is Infinity 2, you may be on the Infinity 1 limit which is 55 Mbps. We'll need to check directly with our suppliers to see what your range is. You can get in touch with us by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. We'll then get back in touch with you over the next few days to help.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

IP profile wouldn't be as high as 56meg on a 55meg sync @DanielS

OP, are you connected to the master socket or an extension?

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

You're right @Webby. I was thinking more about the sync speed than the profile speed.

@northshields if you can reply to Webby with some more information that would be useful. Our contact channel is still open to you.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Can you also post up the results for your phoneline from the following site http://www.dslchecker.bt.com
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
northshields
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Webby,

Thank you for your interest. The modem is connected to the Master Socket, as it always has been.

The reason I feel something is not quite right is that before BT mistakenly downgraded my Infinity2 to Infinity1 I was getting a pretty steady 65Mbps download speed whereas since Infinity2 has been re-instaed it is consistently just below 55Mbps. As far as I am concerned nothing at all has changed in the intervening period. In addition BT in their confirmation email state that I should be getting around 70Mbps, which I would expect as I am only about 300m from the cabinet.

I did my check on the BT Wholesale site with the following result

"1. Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download Speed

54.8 Mbps

0 Mbps

56 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 54.8 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-56 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 56 Mbps

2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.

Upload Speed

13.93 Mbps

0 Mbps

20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 13.93Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

Please visit the FAQ if you are unable to understand the test results."

If there is anything else you think would be helpful please let me know.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
That's the speedtest site. Can you post the DSL checker results using the URL posted above please.
0 Ratings
northshields
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Webby,

The results from the DSL Checker site show

VDSL Range A       High (Downstream)          Low (Downstream)                High (Upstream)               Low (Upstream)

(Clean)                  80                                  72.7                                       20                              20

VDSL Range B         80                                  52.4                                       20                              15

(Impacted)

The fact remains that (presumably based on something) BT estimated that my speed would be 73Mbps download speed and before the mix up I was getting well into the 60's (about 65+) but nothing has changed in the meantime.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution
Appreciate nothing has changed however could you remove the faceplate from the master socket and connect the hub to a filter and then the test socket?

If the speeds don't increase in the test socket then you need an engineer visit.
0 Ratings
northshields
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Webby,

Just for the sake of completeness I have run a speed check connected to the test socket as you suggested but got identical results to the "normal" check. At the invitation of DanielS I have contacted the mods about the issue and will wait to see what that produces before deciding on any further action.

However, many thanks for your suggestions.

0 Ratings