cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

“Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration

Hi, 

Randomly started getting “No internet access” and when troubleshooting get that error message in the subject of this post.

Ive looked in ipconfig and I noticed I don’t get a default gateway and my autoconfig IPv4 Address is 169.254 range (I’ve read this is a Windows 10 reserved address if the device can’t contact DHCP)

Ive changed all my ethernet cables. 

Im running Powerline adapters which go straight into a 4 port switch. I’ve tested with and without the switch and it still persists. I didn’t get the issue when running straight to the hub with a 20 metre cable but it’s not practical at the moment, any ideas? 🙂 

Tom

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: “Ethernet” doesn’t have a valid IP configuration

Could this be a problem with the hub's DHCP server?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

I doubt it very much. A little logical progression with diagnosis would help.

So, no problem with 20m cable direct to hub.

Now try 20m cable to switch - Does it still work? If yes then try Hub to powerline adapters - Does it still work? If yes then it is the switch - powerline at fault.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

So when in normal setup, I still have the light on the power line adapters and the switch to say there is an ethernet connection, just my PC says I have no internet access. 

When testing, once I knew I had a good connection going straight from the hub to my PC with a 20m cable, I swapped and used a cable from the power line adapter to the PC which is how I came up with it being the power line adapters.

Also it was weird as it seemed intermittent which is why I replaced all my cables. For about 20 minutes it worked perfectly fine through the adapters and the switch then dropped off for about 3 hours, worked for a bit then stopped working again. I tried setting my IP and DNS manually from the information on the Hub Admin Panel but still no luck, still get an auto assigned windows IP and no default gateway.

Many thanks

0 Ratings