cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
planetf1
Expert
Message 1 of 3

Evening slowdown

I've noticed a few evenings that my "speedtest.net" speedtest results have dropped from the usual ~31 Mbps to around 16-17 Mbps, and upload dropping from about 6.5 Mbps to 4.5 Mbps. By morning things are back up to normal. [why? running them due to issues with my HH5a.. though typically it's been well behaved for a couple of days now!]

The actual VDSL connection via a "unlocked" HG612 seems stable. error rates look low, sync remains stable, no retrains. 

A reboot of the HH5a (see my issues with the hub elsewhere, but this is different) makes no difference

Note this test was with other devices powered down

What's more a BT wholesale speedtest returns the full 30 Mbps (I tried this afterwards!)

Capacity constraint perhaps somewhere in the BT central network? Is this reported anywhere? 

Of course it could equally be the speedtest.net site!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Evening slowdown

Hi @planetf1,

Thanks for posting. If the BT Wholesale speed test gives the correct connection rate then it's more than likely an issue with the speedtest.net checker which routes the test differently, meaning the results can be very different form the correct BTW test.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Highlighted
planetf1
Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Evening slowdown

Thanks, actually trying tonight I'm getting a consistent 25 Mbps downstream on both speedtest.net (one can select a variety of different servers to rule out issues with particular sites) AND the BT wholesale test. Daytime download is just over 31 Mbps (on a 35 Mbps profile).

I have an unlocked HG612 so can see minimal errored seconds/CRCs, and can confirm the line is still synced stable at 35 Mbps (been up for ~8 days).

Therefore my conclusion is that there's some BT congestion at work ... will have to monitor. could be exchange specific I guess? In the past I've not seen any.

0 Ratings