cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Debbie4121
Beginner
Message 221 of 245

Re: Ever-Changing BT Infinity Roll-Out Dates

Having had the availability dates slip each quarter for the last year or so to the last indicated date of March 2013, we came home earlier this week to find Openreach digging a big hole in the pavement at the end of the road (the cabinet has been installed for months).  With a download speed of less than 1MB we were hopeful, but when we checked the availability checker the date had again moved to end of June 2013.  Curiously though, when I looked at the Openreach website, the yellow pin that had been showing against the cabinet advising of delays has now disappeared.  

I also rang BT a couple of weeks ago to find out what it would cost to cancel to move to Virgin, and the lady I spoke to said that everything had been loaded onto my account ready for Infinity, which they wouldn't do if it wasn't imminent.

Does this sound promising?

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 222 of 245

If you wanted to leave you would have to pay the remaining amount of months left on your contract. You can then choose any ISP you want Sky, Plusnet, Virgin, etc

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
radnoj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 223 of 245

Mine started at 31-March-2011 and has been bumped every quarter to now stand at 31-March-2013. The other 35 cabinet nodes in our area completed rollout over a year ago. We get around 2.5Mb/s. 200 yards away they get 76Mb/s.

However, the BT Wholesale checker is showing a couple of things I hadn't noticed before:

Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------31-Mar-13

and

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 31-Dec-2013. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2013.

Could anyone suggest what these additional items mean?

Thanks,

Jon in Leeds.

0 Ratings
sy5gtt
Contributor
Message 224 of 245

Open Reach have told me they are having problems with contractors in my area! June 2013 they say!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 225 of 245

this link explains multicast http://www.bbc.co.uk/multicast/

the other items are services that are being withdrawn
radnoj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 226 of 245

I emailed nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk and have received a reply. Looks like I'm out of luck:

Your cabinet 19 has had several possible positions to locate it surveyed, however, the financials were too great to build and maintain this cabinet at this time and as such, this cab has been deferred from the programme. You must understand that this decision was not taken lightly, however, we have made a commitment to our customers, shareholders and the government to roll-out fibre broadband to 66% of the UK by November 2014. This is a complex and long term project with finite timescales and funding, we have to work within this confinement which ultimately means some areas are deferred. However, we do intend to revisit areas not included in the initial rollout for possible deployment at a later date.

0 Ratings
jay_oasis
Beginner
Message 227 of 245

I have just checked and my exchange (Marshals Cross, WA9) has just been put back from "End of 2013" to "End of 2014"

Thats a long long time!

I get about 4Mbps on a good day here so by 2014 + I would think even general web browsing would become a pain with such slow speeds.

0 Ratings
jim_bob64
Beginner
Message 228 of 245

Can anyone give any indication as to when Stevenage, Great Ashby, SG1 6GL might get FTTC as i've been waiting years with the dates keep changing but now I've noticed some work being done on the cabinets on Mendip Way but the BT checker still states Oct 13-March 14?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Cheule
Aspiring Contributor
Message 229 of 245

jim_bob64:

I'd suggest emailing nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk and telling them your postcode and what are the chances of FTTC in that area. They can take up to 15 working days to reply, but when they do it's usually worth the wait for a clear concise answer.

0 Ratings
jim_bob64
Beginner
Message 230 of 245

Thanks for that. I got a reply and they have said August and if they keep to that im very happy. Noticed now the cabinet is there that their putting the cables in now (I think) so fingers crossed for August.
0 Ratings