cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Merv
Beginner
Message 1 of 245

Ever-Changing BT Infinity Roll-Out Dates

Living in Central Reading, we were pleased to see that BT Infinity was planned to be rolled-out to our area on 31st December 2010.  That was before Christmas and then the date changed to 31st March 2011.

I emailed BT and a helpful chap explained that the bad weather meant that repairs to damaged lines had taken priority over the roll-out of new services (fair enough) and that is why Central Reading would not be upgraded until 31st March 2011.

I now see that the date has moved yet again to 30th June 2011.  I wrote another email to BT and received a rather poorly written (grammar and spelling dreadful!) reply, advising that BT Infinity was not available in my area and that my interest had been registered - Absolutely no help at all and clearly my query had not been addressed.

I appreciate that many people are eagerly anticipating BT Infinity and are still further away from getting it according to the roll-out plan today but it is not unreasonable to expect a reply to a simple query and I have no faith in the 30th June 2011 date now...  I am fully expecting it to change in May and move back a further 3 months.

I can't be bothered to try and get another reasonable explanation from BT and have resigned myself to the fact that 40MB downloads here are unlikely....

Disappointed!

Merv

Central Reading

0 Ratings
244 REPLIES 244
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 245

Re: Ever-Changing BT Infinity Roll-Out Dates

Ohhhh dear I think you may be right.... about more delay.

I believe this is the most recent "Super-fast Fibre Access exchange" info.-

Roll-out 16th February 2011

PC (Desperately seeking Infinity)

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Merv
Beginner
Message 3 of 245

Ha-ha! Being proved right is not always a good thing!  :smileymad:

Thanks PC...

I wish you better luck wherever you are.

Merv

0 Ratings
kaiserchief
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 245

Merv,

Here in Milton Keynes, I am in more or less the same situ. I too, was excited about the original 30/12/2010 FTTC date for my exchange. Infact, I nearly signed up to BT (currently with TT) early in Dec '10 on the promise that come end of the month, I would be on a blazing fast >30mb! How wrong I was - the date was first moved to 31/03/2011 and then later to 30/09/2011. Who knows to where next it will be further moved?

All this means I am going to be another 7 months (at least) on my crawling 0.49Mb connection - Thanks BT!

The infuriating thing is that BT OpenReach does not even bother to explain the delays- it's all hush-hush, as if it's about nuclear weapons or something - FFS, this is flippin Broadband infrastructure!

Done with my rant, but I ain't holding my breath for that Sept date either!

0 Ratings
sahotaquack
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 245

Unlucky there, i feel for you. I was also happy when i was expecting infinity on 31/12/10 until the date moved to 31/03/11. Then coming closer to the date and seeing posts on here saying dates are being pushed back until June. Then i went to check for myself i wasnt surprised to see my sate changed, to a delightful surprise it had changed to 16/03/11. Hopefully they stick to this as areas around me infinity is already available in the past couple of weeks. But i guess i deserve it, being in Worcester (Only city to appear on the broadband NOT spot) Im now looking forward to my 32mb DL and 7.2 UL. It will be great to get that as i have been suffering with a connection of 0.1-0.5 for the past years.
0 Ratings
Beta
Beginner
Message 6 of 245

Hi,

Another Milton Keynes based customer here with the same story as above.  My Shenley Church End exchange was scheduled for 31/12/10, then 01/03/11 and now says 31/09/11.

I moved to a new broadband supplier with no minimum contract in preperation for Infinity, only to find it has been delayed.

The most disappointing fact of the delayed rollout is that what I would consider the 'smaller' areas in and around Milton Keynes have been handled first.

For example: Bletchley, Newport Pagnell, Bradwell. 

Was there a specific roll out plan for Milton Keynes?  If so, why was the larger exchanges and businesses not considered first?

I am interested to hear any engineers thoughts.

0 Ratings
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 245

I think you will find that Bletchley is covered by the Milton Keynes exchange with nearly 20,000 premises connected and Shenley on about 12,000. Geographically Milton Keynes Exchange covers a more densely populated area.

Strange that the RFS date on both Milton Keynes and Shenley now show an RFS date of 11th March 2011

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
Beta
Beginner
Message 8 of 245

Hi,

Please could you tell me where you are getting that RFS date? I assume you mean Ready For Service.  I only have access to the main bt.com/inifinity site which reads 31st September 2011.

To confirm without giving my number away, I live in Furzton and I am approximately 900 meters away from the exchange.

Cheers

0 Ratings
MeanMint
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 245

Here you go   http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

Now on here the last couple of months it has been 31st March, but just moved to the 11th. But and this is the big but. The exchange may be ready but your Green Cabinet may not be. One other thing if you are that close to the exchange and connected directly you will more than likely not even get infinity.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 245

Hi the dates are no secret this link is the latest from BTOpenreach and as it says all dates are estimates also worth noting not all BT cabinets can or are being upgraded and that applies to all UK exchanges
openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/downloads/fttc_pot_exchs.pdf
0 Ratings