cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
sonofemp
Message 1 of 5

Every street has BT Infinity in my village apart from mine. Can I expect to ever get it?

Hi,

I have recently moved to a new house in a village in North Yorkshire called Spofforth. The Cabinet here has been updated to fibre optic and I have checked other address and they can all get BT infinity. According the the accepting orders spreadsheet on the Open Reach website my cabinet is - 

MYSPOSPOFFORTHFTTCNow

Harrogate District (B)

What I want to know is, will I every get BT infinity, or will my road never be connected? There are houses at the back of my garden that have BT infinity right now. These houses are less than 20 meters away from my house.

I have found it impossble to get a contact email or number for Openreach and whenI have spoken to BT they have said that I must ask them for an update.

I know of at least 3 other people on my road that want to get BT infinity.

What options do we have to a) find out if our houses will ever be conencted, b)collectively get toghher and petition openreach to connect our road if they aren't going to connect us.

I am currently on BT broadband with average speeds of 3mbs which is completely useless for streaming HD videos/movies and having more than one person on youtube at the same time or playing online games.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Every street has BT Infinity in my village apart from mine. Can I expect to ever get it?

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. If it is the same cabinet as your neighbours that already have Infinity you should be able to get Infinity unless the cabinet has no capacity left.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Up until recently you could email Openreach and ask when your cabinet was likely to be upgraded however Openreach are no longer giving out that information, instead they are replying:-

Thank you for your contact to us. Please note that we will not be responding to you by email but, would like to point you to the Openreach Superfast Fibre website and the FAQ section that will provide answers to the most commonly asked questions. It will also provide links to those service providers that sell fibre broadband at the moment so you can check if your particular line is enabled.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

So in short, you just need to keep checking to see if your cabinet has been up graded.

0 Ratings
rb31
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Re: Every street has BT Infinity in my village apart from mine. Can I expect to ever get it?

At our old property people around us were getting bt infinity and we couldn't. We had a cabinet afew metres from our house but it turned out we were connected to a cabinet 3 miles away. So I wouldn't assume you are always connected to the one you probably think you should be Smiley Happy
0 Ratings
ianm42
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

My mate had similar but opposite problem, phone line connected to nearest box, which being on a private estate, BT/OR was having issues contacting estate owner to add Infinity cabinet. Thus was not Inifinity enabled.

However he ordered another business line (as he works from home, check your T&C's, no working from home for home Infinity) and this line was routed to a box slightly further away that was Infinity enabled.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

no working from home also applies to adsl as per T&C

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings