cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
pilkers
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Exchange Only (EO) line : exchange only 140 feet from CMCUR, Fibre cabinet even closer

I know this subject has been brought up before and is a frustration for other people in properties with an EO line. I'm looking for some specific guidance so that I can get some traction with Openreach, help would be appreciated.

The Curdworth exchange CMCUR is literally across the street from me, only 140 feet away. On the pavement in front of the exchange (i.e. even closer to my property) is a fibre enabled green cabinet, and there is another fibre enabled green cabinet in the other direction that is about 100 feet away. There is also a small silver post directly across the street (about 20 feet away), and I understand (from a friend who works at Openreach) that I could be fibre connected if, for example, a cable was run from that silver post, up over the street on a telegraph pole, and down to my property. The other option would be a duct under the street.

My house and my neighbour both to the left and to the right, are all on EO lines. However the rest of the properties in our street (about 30 of them) are connected to the fibre cabinets that I described above. I am guessing that this difference goes back to when our 3 houses were built individually in the late 1970s, i.e. the land was purchased by private individuals who had the property built to their own design. I bought my property from one of those individuals. The houses in the rest of the street were evidently built by a property developer because they are similar in design. History lesson over.

I have read other posts on EO lines and it sounds like I would have to wait for Openreach to build a fibre cabinet outside the Exchange, so that my EO line can be , and this is not a priority. However I would say in this instance that a fibre cabinet already exists about 20 feet away from the exchange on the pavement. Is it not easy for the Exchange to be connected to that cabinet? Or does a fibre cabinet have to be literally right next to the Exchange?

I am already in an email conversation with Openreach who are giving me the bland "our Planning team are continuously working to make each and every cabinet fibre enabled in all respective areas"...."We’re pushing ahead to complete as soon as we can, sometimes there are challenges in physically deploying the network which can cause delay"..."I can imagine your situation you are going through and I really appreciate your patience."  Stalling me, basically.

I'm going to nag Openreach to death and until they get me fibre, but I'd rather be specific about the technical aspects.

Do people think that I should push for Openreach to connect from the Exchange to the Fibre cabinets that I described?

Or put to get connection to the silver post directly across the street?

And lastly how do the green cabinets get fibre if they are not connected to the Exchange in the first place?

Thank you!!

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
VRS
Message 2 of 7

Re: Exchange Only (EO) line : exchange only 140 feet from CMCUR, Fibre cabinet even closer

Try being 1.5km away from the exchange on an EO line! On the plus side you are on a decent ADSL speed (Assuming ADSL2+)

Either way bugging Openreach will do nothing. If you and only a couple of other houses are suffering then they will not spend thousands fixing it on their expense. 

Check out http://www.cswbroadband.org.uk/ (Assuming your area is covered, I didn't fully check, just put your postcode on here and see what it says) as the BDUK delivery of superfast broadband in the Warwickshire area. 

Other than that it's just a waiting game.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Re: Exchange Only (EO) line : exchange only 140 feet from CMCUR, Fibre cabinet even closer

with a small exchange like yours it is likely that fibres are run to the cabinet and then to are larger exchange in your area
0 Ratings
pilkers
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

I feel your pain..!

I'm only getting 1 Mbps at the moment, because as I discovered yesterday, BT put me on a standard ADSL line and not the ADSL Max. On Monday they are switching me over, hopefully that will get me up to 8 Mbps.

But the exchange is not ADSL2+, which I understand has mostly been rolled out across the UK.

So with the whole predicament of EO lines requiring 2 cabinets to be built (1 copper, 1 fibre) by the exchange, I wonder whether getting the exchange upgraded to ADSL2+ is a more realistic short term target...? Or is ADSL2+ still a large investment for Openreach and a difficult one to pursue...?

PS - I have previously been in touch with CSW...they are trying to make contact with Openreach about Fibre, although in light of the above I'm wondering if asking them to target ADSL2+ is the way to go.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

an ADSL2+ exchange up grade is still expensive also a lot of smaller exchange buildings do not have the space for the new exchange equipment also a lot of exchange only lines are now using all in one cabinet's for fibre services not two separate cabinets
0 Ratings
VRS
Message 6 of 7

Ah shame about no ADSL2+. ADSL Max will probably help matters further for you.

I think it's definitely possible that you will get fibre in the not so distant future due to being so close to the exchange it's quite common for AIO (All in one) fibre and copper cabinets to appear. For me, being 1.5km away, a fibre cabinet outside the exchange wouldn't benefit me at all and so rely on one being put up further towards me which adds to cost, time.

What is most bizarre is the bottom of my road was changed from EO line to an already existing fibre cabinet a couple of months ago but Openreach didn't do my road at the same time, very strange.

I do get around 6mb with ADSL2+ so it's not unbelieavably slow but in this day and age  it is with 4k streaming, Xbox One downloading many gigs etc.

My BDUK rollout (Superfast South Yorkshire) tell me it is coming but Openreach say there are no plans!  

0 Ratings
jackrawls58
Message 7 of 7

I live about 3 minutes away from the exchange and I'm on an EO line. Im in the superfast south yorkshire program for July to December 2017. I've noticed two new cabinets built recently outside the exchange and two a few streets down. Hopefully will be getting fibre soon. The cabinets outside the exchange had workers with them this morning installing cabling.

0 Ratings