cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 20

Exchange Only line??

My property is less than 100m (meters) from a new green exchange box which was installed last year. Despite this my phone line is an EO line connected directly to the exchange and it goes past the newly installed box and continues on for another 1.8km to the exchange. All other properties in my area can get fibre but I can't due to this issue..surely the line can be disconnected directly to the exchange and rerouted to the new green box?
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Exchange Only line??

Openreach will not move you onto the cabinet. See link

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead?

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

http://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

At some point in the future Openreach may put a cabinet outside the exchange and move your line onto that.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 20

Hi Richardjohnston,

Welcome to the BTCare Community Forums.

Please can you post the result for your phone number from the BT Broadband Availability Checker, remember to delete it: http://dslchecker.bt.com

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 20

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number 00000 000000 on Exchange SPEAN BRIDGE
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

ADSL Max Up to 2.5 -- 1.5 to 5 Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC or WBC SOGEA) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

There are no left in jumpers available on this line. This line is on a Market A Exchange.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Thank you for your interest.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 20

You just need to keep checking to see if openreach place a new cabinet outside the exchange. Of course at 1.8km that will have an adverse effect on you possible fibre speed. original.png

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 20

Thanks for that information.

As the result shows, you are on an exchange only line with no FTTC available to you. As gg30340 has pointed out, Openreach will not move your line to a different fibre cabinet just because it has FTTC available. FTTC will become available to you when your exchange line is moved to a newly enabled fibre cabinet which is normally installed outside the exchange.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

As you are already aware, the checker just confirms that you are on an EO line. As I said, at some point in the future Openreach may put a Fibre cabinet outside the exchange however it is not high on their priority list. You could check to see ig SuperfastDigitaScotland  http://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/ has any information that may help.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 20

A cabinet is already installed outside the exchange and another one installed less than 100m from my property to service other neighbours in my locality
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

Are your next door neighbours connected to one of these cabinets?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 20

They are indeed
0 Ratings