Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hcl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Exchange only line/New Installation

Go to solution

Have just moved

When i set up my order, it said that BT infinity wasn't available at this particular address - all the nightbours have it, it's enabled in the exchange (01556) and also the local cabinet (2).

BT openreach says its available when i type in the postcode and the select the address of the house from the drop down menu, but not when i type in the actual number allocated

BT said Infinity wasn't available and that i'd also need to have a line installed - so got ADSL cooper broadband

transpires this was a business premises converted into a dwelling, it seems all the utilities are on business terms

with a bit of digging it seems we have an Exchange Only line

so when i was told a new line needed installing and i paid (alberit £130-£100 rebate) to have a new line, it seems they found the business line and re-activated it, rather than do what they were planning on doing - how do i this sorted

i tried calling BT Smiley Mad, but am going round and round departments

Thanks in advance for your help

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Exchange only line/New Installation

Go to solution

The business/residential thing is a red herring. You are on an EO line because that is where the cable supplying the Distribution Point that feeds your premises is connected to.

0 Ratings
hcl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

licquorice

Thanks for the reply and the clarification

so is this something that can be sorted - In my none technical brain, can't they just run a cable to the many telegraph poles within line of sight of the house? (i'm sure i'm about to be enlightened as to why not Smiley Wink )

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution
Unless it's a records issue and the number USED to be on an EO line. The only way to know for sure is physical investigation by an engineer.

How you go about that though is the hard part.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

@hcl wrote:

licquorice

Thanks for the reply and the clarification

so is this something that can be sorted - In my none technical brain, can't they just run a cable to the many telegraph poles within line of sight of the house? (i'm sure i'm about to be enlightened as to why not Smiley Wink )

No, its not that simple I'm afraid. Does your line come to the house via a pole or underground? If a pole, is it possible to ask any of your neighbours served by the same pole if they have been able to obtain Infinity.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution
The OP states all neighbours have it.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

But they may not be fed from his DP. Neigbours is a broad term, particularly in rural areas. Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution
This is true.

I'm gonna put money on it being a records issue. Be very unlucky if the PCP was full and they've had to run an EO line, given that address check shows served by a cabinet.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution

Hmm, possibly. Have a look where cab 2 is in relation to Exchange 6. OP could be fed from either I suspect.

0 Ratings
hcl
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

okey dokey

Line comes into the poroerty via a Pole

Telegraph pole is in the garden and serves houses, all marked (on BT Openreach) as being cabale of having infinity - at least 1 property off this pole does have infinity

this is what BTO says on their checker when i use the number

Your fibre service is connected from this exchange.

Exchange name: Castle Douglas
Exchange status: Fibre enabled

Technology: Pending - EO Line

this is what BTO say on their checker when i used the postcode and select the house from the dropdown menu

Your fibre service is connected from this exchange.

Exchange name: Castle Douglas
Exchange status: Fibre enabled

Cabinet number: 2

Technology: FTTC

Great news, you can order Superfast fibre today. Check out the broadband deals Service Providers have to offer via....

I've given up trying to ring BT - nobody seems to understand and just passes me to another dept

0 Ratings