Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Experts needed! FFTP coming?

IMG_20200220_150952654.jpg

Following verified work to install fibre cables under the adjacent road, new cables and termination boxes (see attached image) have started appearing on the poles used to distribute the existing phone lines. 

Can anyone technical tell me if this is a sign of laying ground work for FFTP? If so, typically how long might it be before the service is available to order? All systems currently say there are no plans for FFTP in our area, but I know from reading threads on here that this info is not necessarily right up to date. Trying to decide whether to go 4/5G or wait for FFTP.

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 12

Re: Experts needed! FFTP coming?

Definitely not an expert, but fibre cables were put up on my road, including one on a pole on my property back on 8th July. I was finally able to order FTTP on 29th January and it was installed on 6th February. The openreach checker had FTTP as coming soon well before the fibre cables were put up.  It was done as part of the BBfN scheme, not sure what effect this may have had on how long it took from them knowing FTTP was coming to it being installed. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Here's the other box on same pole...

IMG-20200220-WA0002.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

That's interesting, thanks. What is BBfN?
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 12

Better Broadband for Norfolk: 

"It's funded through Norfolk County Council, BT and the Department of Culture, Media and Sport via BDUK (Broadband Delivery UK). There's also additional support from the New Anglia LEP and five of Norfolk’s district councils."

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 12

The top picture is a Large In Line Universal Clip Joint and the second one is a Small Cap End Universal Clip Joint.

They are used to House Metallic, aka Copper/Aluminium Cable Joints.

They have nothing to do with FTTP. 

Pretty sure that’s one of the most expert opinions you’ll get as I’m a Multi Skilled Customer Service Engineer working on both Copper and Fibre Networks for over 10 years.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

That's brilliant, thanks for the expert knowledge. Can you think why this has just been installed when there are no new houses or businesses in the area?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 12

To hazard a guess it’s to replace/fix a faulty cable or cable Joint.

On the top picture of the Large In Line UCJ is some writing. Above the date is a CSS Fault Ref Code so that would tell me they’ve put it there because they’ve fixed something.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 12

20200222_105329.jpg

@Starwire what about this coiled black cable?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 12

If that’s a yellow stripe on it then it’s a Fibre Cable. Either a 12 or 36 Fibre.

0 Ratings