cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Extending Range of Broadband

Just today looking at boosting wi fi signal around my property.

Could anyone explain the difference between Broadband Extenders and Wi Fi Extenders, both of which are available at the BT shop.

Any opinions as to their effectiveness please

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Extending Range of Broadband

Can you link me to the products? - I used to work in Maplin until recently so I'd guess this is the difference.

Wifi extenders will just grab your wifi signal off your router and extend it outward. 

Broadband extenders (Most likely powerlines but the name is a bit unclear without seeing the product specs / page) you will plug in one next to the router with a ethernet into one of the ports ands another at the point you wish to have access or extend a wireless connection point from (Some powerlines only have ethernet ports and some have ethernet ports and wifi). Basically this puts your internet connection through your mains. - Results can differ depending on the wiring and if you have multiple circuits (they need to be directly plugged into the wall or can work in a non surge protected socket) but powerlines are generally a better option imo.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Yes, broadband extenders are powerline adaptors. The hotspot range provide wifi and 2 ethernet ports.

I really wouldn't recommend wifi repeaters,they will only operate at half their rated speed as the are transmitting and receiving at the same time and it may not be possible to locate one at an optimal position.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for the information guys

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

No problem,   - Any of you guys / girls have any idea on my problem on my thread? feels like i'm never going to get it solved at this rate

0 Ratings