cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 16

External IP address constantly changing

I am wondering why my external IP address is constantly changing in last few days. This evening alone it has changed about four times. I know restarting your modem / router / hub (whatever you choose to use) can do this and the addresses are dynamic but the frequency of change is ridiculous. I don’t understand why it is happening so often. At no point is our broadband dropping at all and reconnecting so it’s just happening silently in the background. Up until recently it would only occur occasionally, could go weeks without it changing. I use a phone app to access my NAS via FTP remotely so I like the external IP to remain consistent. I accepted occasional change and just waited til I get home to find out the new one and update my app. Now it makes it annoyingly difficult. Yes I could subscribe to a service but I am very keen to find out why constant change is suddenly occurring. Could it be line training ? A few days ago there was an external problem resulting in the broadband constantly dropping and reconnecting over a 15 hour period before normality returned. Could it be external jiggery pokery by BT? Our Speedtest prior to that fateful evening/night was around 50-55 megabits download but since then has been around 45 megabits so has lost a bit. Makes me wonder if it is training itself again hence the constant IP changes but the speed is not changing despite this
Thanks
Wayne
0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: External IP address constantly changing

I would only expect to see a change in your external IP address when your hub drops internet connection and then reconnects  have you checked the logs to see how often you are dropping internet connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 16

Thanks. I don’t use a hub but I checked my netgear router logs. Unfortunately the logs only go back about 12 hours. But I can see one at 11.55pm where it says internet disconnected and then internet connected, within a very short time span so I guess it did disconnect (not noticeably) and must of been doing that several times during the evening. Since that last one it’s been rock solid with external IP staying the same since 11.55 so maybe BT were messing about externally. Just seems odd, there have been many times I’ve restarted the modem and router in the past where it’s been off for such a short time it picks up the same external IP again on reconnect. So to get the external IP change several times in the space of a few hours is pretty weird.

I did have an engineer round a couple days ago after the horrific frequent disconnects and reconnects (plus crackling on the phone line/dial tone) from Tuesday evening and throughout the night until normality resumed around Wednesday 9am. He ran extensive tests and found no problems and said the line was in perfect working order. And suggested it must of been an external issue (despite being on phone and checking service status online and seeing no problems). I’ll keep an eye on it
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 16

it is quite normal to get same external IP address with very short disconnect/reconnet but your external IP will only change when there is a drop in internet connection so you need to check router internet connection time not router uptime

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 16

Can a moderator look at this? Over the weekend there were several disconnects. This morning at 5 am all our phones chirped for several rings (not impressed as it woke our young daughter) and the internet reconnected. The speed is steadily on the decline! Before last Tuesday evening (5/2/19) and all the line crackling on / constant drop outs which only settled down next day after 9 am we got above 50 megabit down and 15 down, after Tuesday we were down to 45 megabit down and now after the 5.22 am issue we are down to 40 megabit down! What on Earth is going on? BT obviously having external issues!!!!! I think checks at cabinet, exchange need undertaking or is there nearby work occurring??? A BT engineer attended my home on thurs 7/2/19 and found no internal issues after checking wiring / socket etc . He said something must of happened externally and my setup was faultless.

Thanks
Wayne
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

If there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

The line test would not normally detect this, it need a full check of all connections.

Request another visit, if its not resolved after that visit, then a moderator can be asked to follow it up.

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 16

Thanks. I’ve tweeted the BT support on this. The problem is there is no noise on the line at the moment. I am listening hard for it but there is nothing other than a normal dial tone. But the strange scenario where at 5.22 am the phone chirped for several unconventional rings and this accompanied another very brief internet disconnect and reconnect (confirmed on my router log and one of several over the weekend) surely points to an external event occurring. The nasty side effect is that our speed is on the decline. 2 years ago we got 60 down. In time that has settled at just over 50 (acceptable) but in last week is now set at 45 and today down to 41 (unacceptable)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

There is probably a bad connection somewhere. This is normally an issue if you are fed from a pole, as there are a number of possible failure points there. Usually the only solution is to replace the dropwire, and re-terminate everything.

0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 16

Thank you for kind feedback, yes we are indeed fed via a pole. It seems strange these events seem to be happening outside of working hours! Tuesday’s constant crackle and persistent drops happened 6.30 pm through to Wednesday 9 am approx (can’t be sure exact time as I’d left for work but I was able my NAS and remote cameras without issue sometime after 9. Friday night 10 pm-midnight constant disconnects and reconnects (albeit v brief). Sunday morning approx 3am twice in short succession and around 5.30 am. Now Monday morning at 5.22 am.
The pattern suggests BT are doing something outside of working hours/overnight that is causing it and all the while it’s effecting my line probably invoking DLM and reducing the IP profile.

I will relay this onto BT and mention about the pole as a possible avenue for investigation.

Cheers, Wayne
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 16

Its either the wind blowing the dropwire and causing a disconnection where it joins the house or the DP at the top of the pole, or water getting into the DP (distribution point).

Sometimes its not possible to see the actual fault, so its a case of replacing it.

If you cannot make any progress with this, a moderator can chase it up.

0 Ratings