cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: External IP address constantly changing

Hi @Scottyboy99 Let us know how you get on and if you need our help to chase this for you.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 16

Thank you. I have managed to get an engineer appointment booked for Thursday PM so will see the outcome of that.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

Hi @Scottyboy99 Thanks for the update and drop back and let us know how the visit on Thursday goes.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 16

Hi John, When following up on twitter to check the engineer and get a more precise time I am told it was not booked properly

I don’t aim this at you at all but this totally does not surprise me and is typical of BT. I was offered tomorrow but cannot do any appointment. And I cannot make any next week. This is unacceptable. Weekend is the only option in the foreseeable. What I would like is for a BT engineer tomorrow to thoroughly inspect my line outside the boundaries of my property. Paying particular attention to the cabinet (maybe trying a new port), checking the pole for any wiring fault and also looking at my connection from the exchange point of view. I am pretty convinced the fault lies outside of my home. There is an external event occurring (which all began last Tuesday 5 feb). I am observing regular daily disconnects (usually in the early hours or shortly after 9 am) whereby a receive a new external IP and I can see the disconnects in my log. Tuesday was a joke as it repeatedly happened all evening and through the night only stabilising after 9 am next day. Friday evening several very quick disconnects occurred. Twice in the early hours of Sunday. Again on Tuesday morning, once more Wednesday morning and again earlier today. An engineer visited last Thursday and was puzzled and observed no faulty internal wiring. Changes of modem/router have made no difference. All disconnects in the last week or so have been pretty quick but it’s not acceptable. Something happened on that evening of the 5th and things have not recovered satisfactorily since. I am sure BT / openreach have meddled with something off site. I have also observed a reduction in my IP profile which is throttling my broadband speed. At the moment it is in the low 40s meaning downloads reduced to around 40-41 megabits and uploads reduced to 9-10 megabits. Before the saga began I enjoyed for years speeds of around 50-55 down and 13-15 up. That is a vast reduction. So the IP profile must be raised, I know it can be manually intervened. I feel my requests are a good compromise seeing as I feel BT has let me down badly. I want to give BT a chance, I know I can get Virgin 350 megabit speed in my road but I have been a loyal customer to BT for many years and hope this problem been given the attention it deserves in order to try and keep my loyalty.

Kind regards, Wayne

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 16

sorry but you have it the wrong way round  it is the drop in speed that has caused the drop in profile not the other way round  so to improve your profile you need to get faster conenction speed but that will not happen as long as your router keeps dropping internet connection

if the drops continue then speed will reduce further and the profile will reduce accordingly  so until you get get openreach to fix your connection you are not going to make any progress

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Scottyboy99
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 16

Hi. I do appreciate your feedback and understand what your saying. However the crux of the matter is an external fault seems to of developed. Frustration in itself. And then BT has let me down in my arranged appointment today (whole transcript on twitter), frustration number 2. Anyway since my post they have apologised on twitter and booked for thorough external checks to be made outside the boundaries of my property tomorrow (even though I will be unavailable) after agreeing that they can see regular drops. Although I don’t think last weeks engineer was particularly thorough he found no internal issues. So a thorough external investigation needs to occur. Whilst my confidence that this does actually occur tomorrow isn’t high I hope something is identified. Whatever the reason for reduced IP profile I am determined for them to fix it. My original hope was for the moderator to take a pro active stance and drive forward with getting whatever has happened fixed. I feel my loyalty to BT (as with any loyal customer) deserves that as i could easily jump ship and move to phenomenal speeds offered by Virgin. I will wait past tomorrow and observe through the weekend but should be there no improvements I will report and hope a moderator will pick up the baton.

Cheers, Wayne
0 Ratings