Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timv5638
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Extreme Ping Spikes on Online Gaming if Netflix is streaming at the same time

Hello, 

I've seen there have been numerous posts about this and how a moderator needs to investigate and change a few things for this to be resolved so I thought I would make my own post and hope for a resolution. 

I currently have Fibre Broadband that provides a download speed of around 30mbps (even though we pay for 50 odd) but that's fine, the issue is the ping will be normal around 20 then as soon as Netflix starts to be streamed I'll hit around 150ish making online gaming on my Xbox impossible. I've lowered the resolution on Netflix to Medium on all accounts and tried ethernet, connected straight to the router etc nothing seems to work. I know this is an issue BT know about and I need help resolving this or we will have to change USP as this is just unusable. Please help.

Thanks 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Jake883
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Extreme Ping Spikes on Online Gaming if Netflix is streaming at the same time

If gaming is the main issue then have you tried setting your console to a static IP?
Also there are a few ports that you could open for xbox:

• Port 88 (UDP)
  • Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
  • Port 80 (TCP)
  • Port 500 (UDP)
  • Port 3544 (UDP)
  • Port 4500 (UDP)

This would be the first thing i would do, and ensure that the console is cabled when testing.
It may be worth checking what your NAT is, should be 2 for gaming generally

0 Ratings
timv5638
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: Extreme Ping Spikes on Online Gaming if Netflix is streaming at the same time

I’ve checked the ping spikes outside of the console using laptop, phone etc and the ping is spiking on the testing so it wouldn’t be anything to do with the console itself, my NAT type is also fine and I’ve tried using wireless and wired connection for the console. 

0 Ratings
Jake883
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 10

What are you pinging out of curiosity.
Have you tried pinging for instance BBC and then an internal address to see if its an internal issue
0 Ratings
timv5638
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

I’ve just been using sites such as ping test etc, and all come back the same with everything being done then huge spikes every 10 odd seconds based upon what 100s of others have been saying I’m having the same issue as them considering my ping is fine if Netflix isn’t being watched 

0 Ratings
Jake883
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

You could try setting a bandwidth limit on the devices that netflix runs on?
In essence you would trick the device into thinking there was QoS on the router controlling the up/downstream

0 Ratings
timv5638
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

I’ve set a certain quality of video that Netflix can stream on all accounts and Netflix runs off my smart tv’s or sky Q so I don’t really know how to do that. The BT Hub also doesn’t have the ability to change band witch to different devices so I’m stuck on that end as well. Apparently purchasing a new router and doing this also only helps a small amount and not massively. 

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 8 of 10

Hi @timv5638 and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you're having problems with high ping. I'll take a look at this for you. I've sent you a private message so send over the details and we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
timv5638
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

I’ve sent you the details @DavidM but haven’t heard anything back? 

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 10 of 10

The mod deal with all requests in order of receipt. As soon as yours reaches the top someone will get back to you. Shouldn't be long now though.

0 Ratings