cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NS001
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Extremely poor internet speeds and packet loss

I've been having problems with my internet for over a month now. Devices are all used through a wifi connection but have been finding very terrible internet speeds. I'm on Fibre optic and should be receiving at least 38mbps however the seems to fluctuate quite dramatically sometimes giving the full speed and at other times 1.96 download and the same upload.

I've recently contacted BT who have said the line appears to be all fine and an engineer came out who said that all the devices were working fine too (during this period, my old BT hub 4 was replaced by the latest model 6).

Recently ran pingplotter to see at it's worst, I'm getting 40% packet loss and high latency times.

Is this a line issue rather than a hardware problem then?

Pingplotter result.png

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Extremely poor internet speeds and packet loss

It's most likely your wifi. Until you can test with a wired connection there's no way of knowing.

0 Ratings
NS001
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Hi, thanks for your advice.

Following that, I managed to get hold of a laptop that still had an ethernet port and ran a comparison of ethernet vs wifi connection and the difference is staggering!

So as the problem is lying with the wifi connection, how would you suggest that I correct this?

I have also included the screenshots of the pingplotter test below, the picture above is on wifi and the one below is of ethernet connection.

Pingplotter Wifi.png

Pingplotter Ethernet.png

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 5

If it were me I'd get a decent router of my own. I've never relied on ISP supplied rubbish.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

if you have the hh6 have you split the networks 2.4/5ghz and also selected channels manually rather than smart/auto selection?

have you tried changing the wireless mode from default 1 to either 2 or 3

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings