cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
FrankCla
Message 1 of 11

Extremely slow BT Infinity 2 speed, 24Mbps

I've been with BT Inifity 2 for about 8 months now. WHen I joined I was able to get around 38Mbps download speed. I was happy with that, even though my router (ASUS DSL-AC-68U) reported that my MAX line sync was actually 60Mbps. 

When I joined, I've had a few openreach engineer visits since I joined, and even they say when they test my line inside my property, I should be able to get at least 55Mbps - 60Mbps. They tried a few things but we could never get it higher than 38Mbps. SO I eventially gave up and made piece with 38Mbps. 

A month ago I noticed that my broadband was really slow, so when I checked my router and noticed that my line was only syncing at 24999kbps. I tried tweaking the SNR settings, which in the past, would always at the very least sync at the different speed depending on the SNR I select, but I noticed NO MATTER what I change on my router, the line ALWAYS syncs at 24999kbps, as if its locked to that profile. I called BT and they said they cant find any faults on my line. I asked them to reset my sync profile and they couldn't even do that!

I have the latest NTE5c MK4 socket, and latest firmware of my ASUS DSL-AC68U router. I dont know what else todo Smiley Sad

DSL Settings

DSL Sync info

BT speed test

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
FrankCla
Message 2 of 11

Re: Extremely slow BT Infinity 2 speed, 24Mbps

Some additional info on my line:

NOTE: The "Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)" is only reporting 23.4, what does this mean? Does this mean BT has locked my IP profile to max 23.4 downstream? it would make sense.

BT Broadband Checker

Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 12.42.14.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 11

Your router uptime is only 5 minutes is this due to a reset by you?

Your SNR is rather high this could be due to either a line fault or too many resets of the router "fooling" DLM into thinking theres is a fault and taking action to stabalise your line.

0 Ratings
FrankCla
Message 4 of 11

The update of 5min is due to me doing a complete firmware reset on my router. Today was the first time I did a router reset, the issue started over 4 weeks ago so I doubt todays reset did anything to make it worse.

As for the SNR, I'm not sure why SNR of 9.4 would be a problem, in fact, 9db means my line is considered stable. In the past I could force the SNR down to 5db which would give me considerable download speed boost. My line functioned fine at SNR 5db, but as I mentioned, even changing the SNR to 5 or even 2 makes no difference to my sync speed. In the past when I changed the SNR it had immediate sync speed impact.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

Slmething isn't right.

With a 25meg connection and a 57meg attainable, the SNR should be considerably higher than it is.

The default target margin on FTTC is 6db.

Is your router connected to the master socket or an extension? Do you have a dial tone on your line? If you do, can you run the quiet line test by calling 17070. The line should be totally silent.

One thing to note, the DSL profile should be set to 17a.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Your upstream speed is indiciating a fault too.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
FrankCla
Message 7 of 11

My router is connected to the master socket. Directly, no extension. I don't have a landline phone so I can check the line for noise.

I've changed the profile to 17a, it made no difference. Im convinced its the DML thats locked my profile to 24Mbps...and with interleaving enabled I dont think I can get past this without a line reset.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

You need to get a landline phone and check for dial tone.

If there is a dial tone with no noise, then you need an engineer visit for your broadband issues as there's a fault somewhere.

It absolutely is DLM that has limited the profile. Resetting of DLM can only be done via an engineer visit. Resetting it will only mask the problem, not resolve it, as there's something causing the line to only sync at 3meg upstream, when it should be closer to 13meg.
FrankCla
Message 9 of 11

OK thanks.

So nothing with my router settings is causing this?
0 Ratings
FrankCla
Message 10 of 11

0 Ratings