cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 23

Extremely slow download speed

I've been experiencing some really slow speeds over the past week.

I should be getting 52Mbps download and 10Mbps upload, but instead I'm getting around 5-10Mbps download and 18Mbps upload. (even with wired connection).

I am really disappointed as it had been working fine until last week.

I called BT and they first, after a series of speed tests, identified a fault in the network, and sent someone to fix it.

However the speed did not improve, I called again and this time they sent an engineer to my house and tested the speed from

the telephone socket with his modem. The speed the modem is getting is 80Mbps download and 20Mbps download. He told me to wait and get in touch with BT again and they might ask me to configure something with my router...

I tried calling BT again and after an 1-hour gruelling speed tests they seemingly identified another network fault... but if that is the case how would the engineer be getting perfect speed on his modem? I'm really confused. I don't know if it has anything to do with the router.

The BT Wholesale test suggests that I'm getting 30Mbps DL/19Mbps UL, which is so far from reality...

Please help I am really out of my wits now. 😞

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Extremely slow download speed

Welcome to this user forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Which BT home hub do you have?

Please could you post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics.

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 23

Exchange MAIDA VALE is served by Cabinet 52

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 10.19.10.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 10.18.34 1.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 10.19.59.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

which exchange and cabinet?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 23

on Exchange MAIDA VALE is served by Cabinet 52
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

I have asked mods to check to see if your problem is congestion

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 23

Thank you.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 23

A lot of errors on your line can also cause slow download speed. Was the 17070 quiet line test ok?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 23

@dan013157 Welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your connection.  I've checked the congestion report and there are no issues reported for the Maida Vale exchange area.

Are you seeing the issue at all times or only during the evening/weekends?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

did you try quiet line test as @Keith_Beddoe asked?

0 Ratings