cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: FREE upgrade to fibre - closing copper??

You do not have to renew your contract, it will just continue on a month by month rolling contract. So unless you think you are going to get a price reduction (unlikely), then I would just leave things alone, which is what I have done.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

However, the cheap 18 month deal won't continue with a rolling contract, the price will revert to full price.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

problem with rolling monthly contract is you lose any discount which you previously had and go on to standard terms so you basically pay for being able to leave at short notice with no cancellation fees

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 18

@licquorice wrote:

However, the cheap 18 month deal won't continue with a rolling contract, the price will revert to full price.

That is always assuming that @pal62v  is still on the initial 18 month contract, and is receiving a substantial discount.

The last time I did renew my ADSL contract, I was offered a £5 discount for 12 months.

0 Ratings
pal62v
Beginner
Message 15 of 18

Yes, that's right.
I am currently paying - believe it or not - £3/mth for unlimited ADSL+. I manage to haggle a decent price each renewal. If I was to leave it to roll over in April, it will shoot up in price.
So I am in two minds as to what now to do. Either risk it and wait until April for my renewal and get another great deal. OR find that I cannot renew ADSL. I then will have to take up fibre at a much greater cost. OR upgrade for free now and have fibre for the next 18 mths at £3/mth.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

@Keith_Beddoe 

as long as @pal62v  is in a fixed term contract (which he currently is according to posts) there will be some discount which will be lost at the renewal date .  BT may offer a small discount as you have but in most cases you are left with standard price and rolling monthly contract - the price you pay for being able to change provider at short notice without cancellation fees

If I could renew my contract and upgrade to fibre for £3pm for 18 months - that a no brainer

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

@pal62v 

this confirms your free upgrade

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/10/bt-uk-to-launch-halo-unlimited-5g-and-fixed-broadband-...

pal62v
Beginner
Message 18 of 18

Thanks @imjolly  - very interesting article.

I think I'll just sit out to the end of my contract in April then. If what they say is true, I should then be automatically put onto a fibre connection when I re-contract. I'll be interested if they stick to their line about being upgraded at no extra cost. For me that would be an absolute bargain.

Or I guess I could go for the upgrade now and assume that in 18 mths they will allow me to roll over to a new contract at the same price (plus any CPI rises).

0 Ratings