cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 7

FTTC Cabinet DSLAM Possibly Failing - How to report?

Hi guys,

Over the course of tonight/this morning while I have been up, I've found my Broadband Connection restart twice abnormally.

Now that may sound ordinary to some users but what isn't however is the downtime between re-syncing and the higher SNR after the first bit of downtime.

I have a line which syncs at the maximum 80Mb Sync with a Normal SNR of ~10.3dB on the Downstream so it's not a problem there. The router I'm using is the HG612 and is as stable as a rock & has kept a constant sync on my line for over a month (3 months in a row since I got FTTC but I tend to restart it every 30 days of uptime). I have not had a major problem since having FTTC.

Now down to what happened:

The first time it restarted (Around 00:15) it stayed down for about 5 minutes (Router continuously retrying to sync) and when it finally came back up, the SNR shot up to 16.6dB for about 30 seconds on the downstream indicating that probably other lines which usually cause crosstalk on mine were also knocked out and then after 30 seconds the SNR returned to normal (I'm guessing all the other lines synced back up).

The SNR bit is the bit I think gives away that it can't be the DLM because 1. I have a completely stable line and 2. The higher SNR means other lines were probably down when the modem synced.

It has just dropped out again about 10 minutes ago and this time it was down for the best part of around 15 minutes. Over the course of the 15 minutes, the HG612 was continuously trying to resync but couldn't get anything. I restarted both the HG612 & 7800N Router I'm using just in case and that didn't help. After both pieces of equipment had been booted for around 3 minutes trying to get a sync, the modem managed to get a sync.

Now both pieces of equipment are connected to a UPS so it isn't an issue with the power supply. I'd also know because I've been up all night on a computer without a UPS.

I tried picking up the phone during both outages and it sounded fine but as some of you probably know that's worthless with FTTC because the dial-tone is a completely different system in the exchange.

In the past when the FTTC line has resynced (Only a few times) it has only taken about 30 seconds whereas tonight it has been taking in excess of 5 minutes and tons of retries by my modem.

I'd hazard a guess and say that the DSLAM/Line Card has restarted twice in the night which could possibly be an indication something is failing.

Is there anything I can do to make BT/Openreach aware of this probability or do their systems keep track of these kind of issues?

Also, do DSLAM restarts cause the dropouts (Caused by it restarting) to register with the DLM and count against me?

I've checked BT Status and nothing has popped up as of yet in my area.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Chris

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTC Cabinet DSLAM Possibly Failing - How to report?

Openreach monitor all infinity cabinets 24/7 from their central control centre if there was a problem they would be aware within minutes
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

@john46 wrote:
Openreach monitor all infinity cabinets 24/7 from their central control centre if there was a problem they would be aware within minutes

Aha fair enough, hopefully they fix it if it becomes an issue without customers having to complain!

Thanks for your reply.

Any idea on the DLM query?

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Yes disconnects are counted
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

@ray_dorset wrote:

Even if the System/Hardware the DLM runs on shuts down/restarts which causes the disconnection?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

@chris6273 wrote:

@ray_dorset wrote:

Even if the System/Hardware the DLM runs on shuts down/restarts which causes the disconnection?

If that is indeed the case then no.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

@pippincp wrote:

@chris6273 wrote:

@ray_dorset wrote:

If that is indeed the case then no.

Fair enough. Thanks for your answers!

0 Ratings