cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dk1uk
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

FTTC Enabled Cabinet but only offered Broadband Unlimited

Hi - today I ordered broadband for a new-build house on a new development. My house doesn’t appear in the broadband checker though the house next door (new build on the same development does) shows as being able to receive Infinity at a download speed of 30mb.

The cabinet is number 70 on the Kingsmead exchange in Bath.

Anyhow, I placed the order over the phone and was told that I would first need to order Broadband Unlimited with a likely download speed of 3mb and then in a few weeks/months I’d be contacted to let me know that I could be upgraded to Infinity - something about BT having to install a booster in the cabinet. I’m now wondering how likely this is - if next door already has Infinity, is there any technical reason why I couldn’t just get Infinity from day one?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: FTTC Enabled Cabinet but only offered Broadband Unlimited

It could be that the cabinet is full and needs to have more capacity added.

If you use this checker and post a screen shot of the results it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

dk1uk
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Many thanks, I don’t have the connection yet, only ordered it today so I don’t have a phone number to enter into the dsl checker and the address/postcode search says it can be sure of a match, presumably because it’s a new build.

But the chap I spoke to today confirmed it was cabinet 70 on the Kingsmead exchange, is there somewhere I could find this info, I have tried and failed, though streetlist.co.uk also says it’s cabinet P70.

In terms of a cabinet requiring more capacity, is that something the BT adds regularly or could I be waiting months/years?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

If you put in a neighbour's phone number or address who has Infinity it should bring up the cabinet and its status.

It is not BT who update the capacity it is Openreach and they will only do it when demand warrants it. They usually have a  waiting list that the ISP subscribe to.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

There is no fixed time scale for Openreach to upgrade cabinet capacity as affects all providers not just BT Consumer your provider
dk1uk
Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Thanks - here is the status - it's for cabinet 70.  It terms of the waiting list, am I better off keeping my subscription (I only ordered today so can cancel) to help demonstrate demand to Open Reach?  A 3mb ADSL connection is almost not worth paying for when I get a decent 4G connection in the house...

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

It would normally show if there was no availability and there is no indication of that on the checker that you have posted.

It may be that as your property is a new build and has not had a phone line before it will not be on the database. Once you have ordered a phone line and the database is updated you should be able to get Infinity without any problem.

dk1uk
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Thank you, that is encouraging to hear.  Why do you think it is that BT were only willing to sell me the ADSL product instead of Infinity?

Also just off an online chat with their order management people who think that the cabinet has run out of Infinity ports - could that explain it?

There are around 12 houses being built around us who I think will be on the same cabinet, will be carnage once they all realise they can’t get a decent connection?!

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

I have no idea why BT would only sell you ADSL. As far as I am aware if there were no Infinity ports available it would show as "waiting list" or something similar on the checker. As it is not showing this I would say you should be able to order Infinity with the proviso that you have/get a phone line.

It may be that because you don't have a phone line BT want you to have one before you can order Infinity because at present they know that you will be able to get ADSL with a phone line but they do not know if that phone line will be able to support Infinity until the phone line is up and running.

I think that you have no option but to play their game and order phone line and ADSL.

Once it is installed I would not wait for BT to contact you about upgrading to Infinity, I would take the initiative and try ordering after a couple of weeks.

dk1uk
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Thanks you, much appreciated, I’ll give that a bash. Cheers.

0 Ratings