Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Guru
Guru
Message 1 of 29

FTTC/H to Rural Areas and the Final Third

Hi All,

As already said, Our exchange is not on the Infinity rollout plan but has been upgraded to adsl2+. However the village is approx. 3-4miles away from the exchange and everyone in the village has been moved to the 21cn network but kept on ADSLMax as lines are too long for adsl2+.

Openreach have recently released new dates for the rollout of superfast broadband but still the exchange is not FTTC/H rollout plan.

About the village

There is No Cabinet and everyone is connected directly by line to the exchange. The line Lengths are between 4.8 - 5.6km long (very long).
There are about 30-40 houses in the village.
As the Adsl2+ upgrade made no difference to the sync speed/ connection received by the community there seems to be no current plan to help the rural area and the final third keep up with the rest of Britain.

The Villages currently receives a download speed between 0.5-2mb. This varies from line to line due to many reasons and factors from different lengths to different line materials and quality.

About the exchange

The Exchange serves approx. 3,076 residential premises and approx. 314 non-residential premises.
Since the exchange went ADSL2+ live and everyone has been upgraded. I know that people near the exchange can get speeds between 17-20mbps, but as you get further away from the exchange it dramatically decreases. Let alone all the surround villages who receive between 0.2 and 2mbps that are served by the exchange that are spread out. The only people who benefit from ADSL2+ are the people who live near the exchange.

About my connection

I have a direct line from the exchange and is 5+km long. I currently get a download speed between 0.9-1.2mbps. After the ADSL2+ line upgrade it took about 6weeks to get it back to normal but got a good 1.2sync connection after a few noise margin resets, profile resets (Thanks to john46, Keith_Beddoe, imjolly, BT Care Team).

The Current Broadband Standard

1) The UK's Broadband Target for 2012 is 2mb
2) The Welsh Government Broadband Target for 2015 is to make a minimum of 30mb accessible to everyone in Wales with some areas receiving 100+mb.
3) The UK The government has promised the best superfast broadband in Europe by 2015.

The Question

1) Do BT Wholsale / Openreach have any plans to bridge the divide between urban and rural broadband? Cities and towns are receiving up to 40-80mb and some getting 100+mb but rural areas and the final third are only getting 0.5-2mb and some not at all.

2) Some villages will be lucky when they do get to upgrade as they already have a cabinet that can be upgraded but when it comes to rural villages that have direct exchange lines what do BT Wholesale and Openreach propose to do?

Some suggestions were: install a FTTC cabinet, Replace the copper overhead wires with FTTH overhead wired, FiWi....

Thanks for taking time to read this post, sorry for it being a bit long.

Cheers.

Some useful Websites (Whole of UK):
You can check when your exchange is going to be upgraded by going to http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Some other helpful websites:

1) Register your yourself as a Broadband not/slow spot: http://www.broadband-notspot.org.uk/

2) Look out for local government broadband support like the Welsh Government Broadband Support Scheme

3) look out for local community Broadband Schemes (local community council and local MP's can help)

4) Register your interest for a fibre broadband service. BT Openreach will then let you know when it is available in your area: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx

Websites for Welsh Communities:
1) Report your area as a Broadband Slow spot (between 0.5mb-2mb) on The Welsh Government Broadband Support Scheme website: http://wales.gov.uk/topics/businessandeconomy/broadbandandict/broadband/slowspot/slowspot/?lang=en

2) If you receive less than 0.5mb then go to The The Welsh Government Broadband Not Spot website: https://secure.wales.gov.uk/topics/businessandeconomy/broadbandandict/broadband/notspot/notspot/?lan...

3) Register yourself for the Welsh Government Next Generation Broadband Scheme: http://wales.gov.uk/topics/businessandeconomy/broadbandandict/broadband/ngbw/ngbform/?lang=en

4) Register your interest for a fibre broadband service. BT Openreach will then let you know when it is available in your area: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 29

Re: FTTC/H to Rural Areas and the Final Third

They are currently trialing an all fibre exchange. If that goes well they will probably end up doing other exchanges similar to the one in the trial.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 29

jac_95 this link posted in the stickies on the Infinity board explains more
http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Deddington-to-be-UK-s-first-all-fibre-telephone-exchange/td-p...
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 29

Thanks for information about the Deddington exchange.

One question, it says that they can quickly lay the fibre as they already have ducting in the area.

As the area in which our exchange serves mainly have direct lines to all the villages, can they change the old copper overhead lines with new fibre overhead lines?

There might be more questions to come :L

cheers.

Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 29

fibre can be run over head yes many fibre to home installs are over head
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 29

Thanks john46, if that was possible here that would be great but as our exchange isn't on the rollout plan looks like it might take a while lol.

What are your thoughts on Fi-Wi technology? Think it means Fibre over Wireless.

cheers.

Try a Search
0 Ratings
sandfire
Contributor
Message 7 of 29

Fi-Wi is an indoor solution - connecting your TV to your DVD player for example. Unfortunately, 60 GHz may cook your cells.
--

To hide this sig go to http://community.bt.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences and uncheck 'View signatures in posts'.

0 Ratings
astar27
Expert
Message 8 of 29

i would like to see, either the copper cable upgraded to the maximum gauge for longer lines so that more speed is achievable, if it was done then it would be very possible to achieve 2meg at say a distance of 7km. or install more cabinets at longer distance then use existing ducting subject to availability to put FTTC in.
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 9 of 29

Hi jac_95,

Thanks for the message.  I will be rather busy for the next few days but will try to add something as soon as I can.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 29

Hi jac_95,

Here is a copy of a reply I sent on your “ADSL2+ on long lines” topic, with a few additions.

I will endeavour to answer your questions as accurately and briefly as I can but more detail is contained earlier in this topic. I’m sure there are numerous rural communities in the same boat.

Village Details

The village consists of 363 residential properties and various commercial concerns.  There are 571 people connected to the internet from their homes.  Allowing for 2 people per property this suggests there are about 280 properties with an internet connection.  The majority of the residential properties are on the Kimbolton exchange which serves 1,270 residential premises and 120 non-residential premises in total.  Most of the village spans a distance of 4.2 to 5.5km from the exchange but some of the farms and other properties are ~7km away and have no internet connection at all.

Q : Do you have any campaigns or solutions in your village?

A : During March and early April 11 of the 23 houses that form a small part of where I live in the village lost their phone connections one after the other, day by day.  Talking to the engineers that came to fix them they all said it was down to the corroded joints of the aluminium cable and every time they touched one, they broke another.  Midway through the fiasco I contacted BT to see if it was possible to have a communal fix, on the basis that to do nothing will guarantee nothing will be done.  During discussion with some of the people that lost their phone connection, the question of broadband speed arose and it emerged that some people thought that there speed of less than 100kbps was the norm.  During the numerous exchanges of emails and phone calls I discovered that our exchange, Kimbolton, had a 21CN rfs date of 31st March.  So my “campaign” broadened (please excuse the pun) to cover broadband.

I eventually established with BT that the work at the exchange was completed by 23rd April and, because of my constant dialogue, I was upgraded that day.  Other people have gradually been reporting that they have been upgraded since then, some following an email from BT, others without.  Others that have contacted BT requesting an upgrade have met varying responses from “Yes it will happen on such and such a day” to “I have no idea what you are talking about”.  It really is pot luck who you get to speak to.

Given that 428 people said they would support it, our Village Plan has an action point to investigate the feasibility of a community-run fibre optic broadband service for the whole Village.  However, given the level of apathy I have encountered, it was easy for them to say “yes” on a questionnaire, in reality I don’t think many would put their money where their mouth is.

There is a county wide campaign at http://www.connectingcambridgeshire.co.uk/. On 5th July I became the “Digital Champion” for our village.  I’m not very keen on that title CCC came up with.  In my opinion “Digital” does not relate specifically to broadband and “Champion” implies success; something we are quite some way from achieving - YET.  I would prefer something along the lines of Broadband Promoter.  To date we only have 11.2% registrations with the leading village having 90%.

Q : Are you like us where all the lines in the village are direct and there are no cabinets?

A : No we have one cabinet that serves the whole village.  I am not aware of any residents having a direct connection to the exchange.  Crazily the cabinet it located at the extreme end of the village meaning those at the other end are up to somewhere around 3.5Km away.  If you search using my username you will find a topic I started on the Infinity forum that has more details.

Unfortunately, and contradictory to their connectingcambridgeshire, as part of CCC’s cost cutting exercise they have withdrawn the school’s broadband microwave.  I’m still trying to contact the top person at CCC but her deputy has suggested that Virgin are going to lay a cable direct to the school from the exchange.  I’m fairly certain that she is wrong though.

Q : After the ADSL2+ (21cn upgrade) has anyone in your village been upgraded to ADSL2+ or like us everyones been kept on ADSLMax but on the 21cn network?

A : Those that have provided that level of detail have said they are still on ADSL Max. I am aware that people close to the exchange in Kimbolton are on ADSL2+ and have speeds ~19Mbps

Q : Also have most people in the village been having intermittent service and slower speeds than before the upgrade?

A : No.  Again it is only a small number, but increases in speed of from 0.5 to 1.0Mbps have been reported together with more speed consistency and fewer disconnections.

One final comment about how people refer to internet connection speeds, what is snail’s pace to one person can be a dream to others.  People really do need to quote numbers to have any real meaning.

I hope you find the above useful and not too boring.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings