cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 9

FTTC IP Profile Changes

Hi,

This is my first post and I’ve only recently joined BT. I’ve not been able to get a definitive answer from BT, so thought I’d try here instead…

We upgraded to BT Ultrafast Unlimited 2 about a month ago, and have yet to get the 68-70Mbps download speed we used to get with Plusnet. I'mm using the supplied BT Smart Hub 6A right next to an Openreach MK2 Master Socket connected with a very short cable. (Also still have a Huawei EchoLife HG612 3B modem that I used with Plusnet).

It seems to have settled at 60Mbps in busy periods and gets up to 63Mbps when it’s quieter. Our BT SmartHub syncs to a Huawei FTTC at 73-74Mbps. The IP Profile was 62 and now has gone up to 67Mbps, which explains why we’re not getting the 68-70Mbps download we used to get. I'm thinking the IP Profile should be about 72Mbps for our line? Or am I being too optimistic?

Is it normal with BT to get a speed reduction compared to other ISP’s? Or might the IP Profile go up automatically another 5Mbps given time?

Would we get the full speed out of our line by moving to a LLU ISP? Or should I revert to the HG612? (I have noticed the BT Smart Hub 6A seems to reconnect every few days).

I had an online chat with BT last week about this and was told our download speed is being capped by the IP Profile. I was then assured it would be uncapped and my speed would revert to the 68-70Mbps that I used to get. But this hasn’t happened and I seem to get a different answer from everyone I talk to at BT, most BT support staff think I’m talking double dutch! Latest BT answer is that it’s all automated, so the IP Profile will go up and down depending on the state of the line and how busy the exchange is.

I know we're still getting a good speed, but it’s frustrating that's it's gone down when we’re paying more than we did with Plusnet.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: FTTC IP Profile Changes

your ip profile is set by your connection speed not the other way round so to get a higher profile you need a faster connection speed

I would expect you to get the same speed with whichever ISP as they all use the same openreach lines unlike adsl with LLU

enter you phone number and post results  delete number but leave exchange and cab  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

post hub stats from advanced settings then technical log information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 9

DSLCheckerResults.jpgTechnicalLog.jpgSpeedTestResults.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 9

You connection time is only 3 hrs, any reason for this?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 9

BT told me to restart it. When I restarted it last week the IP Profile shot up 5Mbps. But nothing this time. I restarted it from the router admin page. It restarts on it's own every 2 or 3 days as well. Don't know why, I thought line training only took 10 days. We've been connected nearly a month.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

have you checked for any line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

from your stats your connection is right at top of estimated range and from your noise margin it appears G.INP is already active probably why the boost in speed previously

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 7 of 9

No noise on line via cordless BT phone.

Do you know why the download IP Profile is set at 67 when the line speed is 73? I'd read that it should be 96.8% for FTTC, so thought it should be around 70.

Was wondering that it might be set at 67 because the max speed advertised for Ultrafast Unlimited 2 is 67Mbps?

I'm splitting straws I know, but annoying when previous ISP was faster and we paid less.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 9

The max advertised speed for Ultrafast 2 is not 67Mbps, it's 330Mbps and is either delivered via FTTP or G,Fast.  You are on Superfast 2 Unlimited the max advertised speed being 80Mbps but the national average is 67Mbps.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 9

That's not what BT told me. They said I was getting the maximum for my package i.e. 67Mbps download. I've had that many problems with BT this last year they've beaten me into submission. For an extra 5Mbps it's probably more trouble than it's worth.
0 Ratings