cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 23

FTTC Speed Decline

Hi, just to be upfront I am outside the contract period, have been since February 2020. When I last signed a contract with BT they said an engineer would visit the property and fix the speed issues, they were then at a measly 49mbps, the engineer never bothered to show up.

That propels me forward to today and my growing concerns regarding the broadband speeds. I will post some screenshots below.

If this is the wrong section please move it, thanks.

Telephone Checker (landline number input)

Broadband Speed Test.png

Postal Code Checker

Postcode.png

BT HUB.png

I was originally on BT Infinity 2. All the packages have changed in the past few years. I think I was assigned to some BT Halo + package. 

Which contact number is the best to get in touch with the support team? In the past I always end up in discussion with somebody abroad who are less than helpful. They may say the right things after the introduction but they never follow through with any of it. I really need a line reset as well as the engineer checking the stability of the line because these speed drops have been a gradual process over the years. They stabilise for a while then they drop some more. They never recover some, they just continue to drop over time.

I'm not willing to sign a contract extension unless they correct the speed issues. I also need whatever the latest BT Hub is because the BT HUB 5 I have is running into issues with the 5ghz wifi. Since that HUB update arrived in February 2019 the 5ghz wireless sometimes disappears and refuses to connect upon a automatic HUB reset. 

Also, what is the process of faceplate and corded phone? If I do get an engineer out I don't want to be charged if the fault lays in the property. As is always the case I expect the problem to be external but best to be sure. 

It would be nice if a moderator could pick this up, but I expect they won't, let's hope.

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23

Re: FTTC Speed Decline

TBH you're going to end up in a quandry if you want a new hub. I've had experience where if you're out of contract they won't replace the hub as essentialy it has no warranty & the only way to get a new one was to sign up to a new contract, just FYI

The number is 0800 800 150 btw & all calls are now answered in uk/ireland as well

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 23

try quiet line test from test socket by dialling 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone

your connection time is very short are you having problems with your connection dropping or are you resetting trying to improve connection speed or maybe combination of both?   your noise margin is high at 10db as normal about 6db suggesting connection problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 23

Exchange and cab number?

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 23

Not sure how to quote multiple messages so I will reply to them all in this message. 

Thanks for the number Gary. I will contact them sometime next week once I have tried the phone and broadband in the test socket.

imjolly - No, 99% of the resets are done automatically by the cabinet. The connection did drop again and rebooted shortly after posting the screenshots though. I have reset the connection manually about 3 times in the past year when the 5ghz disappeared and refused to work after an automatic reboot of the HUB. 

Pippin - Exchange Oldham Cabinet 49 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 23

if you go to the hub logs and filter using WAN  you should see the number of drops in connection as the high noise margin does suggest connection problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 23

Quiet line test?

BTW you are on a Huawei cab so a possibility of G.INP once you get that noise margin down to 6.0dB.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 23

PPP LCP send termination request (user request)

14th February 12:27:30 - Downrate 42mbps, Uprate 15.1mbps, Margin Down 10.2dB, Margin Up 6.0dB

13th February 21:39:42  - Downrate 42mbps, Uprate 15mbps, Margin Down 10.0dB, Margin Up 6.0dB

02nd February  02:48:46- Downrate 42mbps, Uprate 14.7mbps, Margin Down 10.1dB, Margin Up 6.0dB

28th January 03:41:55 - Downrate 47mbps, Uprate 15mbps, Margin Down 8.3dB, Margin Up 6.0dB

14th January 02:34:39 - Downrate 48.9mbps, Uprate 15.1mbps, Margin Down 8.4dB, Margin Up 6.0dB

I can only go back to December 11th. Either way the above speeds are pretty poor considering the post code checker believes we should be close to 80mb. Individual line / telephone checker 67mbps on a none impacted line yet here I am at 39mbps. I think the bare minimum when I first signed up to BT in 2015-2016 was 54mbps with a none impacted line standing at around 74mbps.

I will do the quiet line test later on today or tomorrow.  Should I be testing the test socket with the phone only or plugging in the filter to the test socket and trying both broadband and phone? 

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 23

A really late update but I'm gonna get the ball moving. The uptime was 18 days, restarted a few days ago and a slight decrease again. I finally got around to testing the test socket earlier. The corded phone sounds fine in the quiet line test via the test socket but I have spent the past 3 hours without internet when I then attempted the microfilter with the phone and dsl connected. The connection wouldn't re-establish. HUB couldn't get a dsl reading each and everytime I tried reconnecting it. Unplugged the HUB, inserted the cables again, made sure I actually plugged everything in correctly and the dsl still wouldn't work in the test socket via the microfilter. I must have done this about 5 times and no connection could be reached. It's really late now so I took out the microfilter and put the dsl wire back into the top slot (mk3 faceplate) and the connection was back within a minute. Back to a similar data rate as mentioned a few weeks ago 42051.

I wanted to get this posted before bed. I will have to phone BT regardless regarding the broadband speeds, noise margin and the connection issues, but is it uncommon for the test socket to work for the phone but not the dsl? Never had that issue when I did the same thing in the past.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 23

A further update.

I bought a Broadcom router with lots of stats. Ran some tests, 0 CRC and 0 ES errors on the line yet the router still resynced with the cabinet after only 8 days. Sync speed was the exact same upon return but the throughput increased by 2Mbps. I have access to the router stats and I have also downloaded a live monitoring application called dslstats, very handy tool to have.

I requested a dlm reset earlier this week, when pressed they said they couldn't initiate a remote line reset and I would need an engineer, problem is engineers never get to the bottom of whatever the problem is on my line. I understand full well that crosstalk has negatively impacted my line and I will probably never be able to achieve 70-75Mbps again but this resyncing with the cab and the data sync dropping over time vs a much higher max attainable is clearly a fault somewhere.

An engineer is expected next week (if they turn up) and the person I wrote to on live chat said they have wrote a note about the dlm reset, but even if an engineer does show up, does something then decides to reset the line, whose to say that problem will not repeat itself in a month, two, three? It's been an on-going issue for years. Slight losses to speed over a period of time. I just hope whoever turns up next week is competent and resets the dlm. If not though can a moderator please chime in and help. The last time I requested a dlm reset years ago, an engineer turned up, replaced the faceplate, did something briefly at the pole, went to the cab and also set up his kit at the house and said that's the best I'm going to get. Even though the HUB at the time had a max sync rate 20Mbps higher than my current sync. Same thing now., but with even lower speeds.

Info.png

0 Ratings