cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 34

Re: FTTC Speed drop

the software changes are those to move you from Plusnet servers to the BT servers the software changes have no effect on your speed
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 34

Its likely the line monitoring has just been a bit more aggressive in trying to stabiliise your connection than it was last time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ModernFamilyfan
Contributor
Message 13 of 34

Now looking at BT.com estimated speed range for my line is 63mb - 80mb

Not very happy that i'm not receiving those speeds that i'm paying for.

My old house had a line installed just before WW2 I believe and it received a solid 75mb connection and it was the same distance if not, further away from the green fibre cab.

Clearly my line can handle the faster speeds, and the BTOR engineer I saw the other day and I explained my situation whilst he was finishing up another job, and he said that I could have been knocked to a slower port when I changed ISP.

I am a technologist myself and do have some experience in the communications system.

MFF

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 34

Use this checker. You will see that there is a Range A and Range B. The BT.com estimater only gives the Range A estimate and your line could be a Range B line.

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you are on Infinity 2 you pay for speeds that can range from 38Mbps up to 78Mbps and in particular the speeds that are within the estimated range whether it is Range A or Range B.

Just because you had good speeds in an older house does not mean you should get the same or better speeds in your present house. There are many variables that need to be taken into account such as type of cables, age of cables, number of joins etc. Your speed could be completely different from your next door neighbours even although the house  are the same age, distance from cabinet because of these variables. If it was that easy ISP would give a guaranteed speed and not an estimated up to speed. 

0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 34

gg30340 - the OP has posted his info in message 3.  Range A is 63.4-80 (which is what BT.com always quotes) and Range B is 47.3-73.5. john46 has already commented on the speeds and the likelihood of not much being done.

The problem is that he used to get 60 down with plusnet rather than the 50 with BT but has made no reference to any problems that may have occurred since joining BT which could have resulted in the drop especially considering how draconian DLM can be.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 34

conrad

I was aware of what the OP's original problem was and that he posted the the info in an earlier message. It appears that the Op does not want to hear what he has been told by john46 and reposted his problem in the message I was replying to. I was trying to answer some of the points that he raised there.

0 Ratings
ModernFamilyfan
Contributor
Message 17 of 34

I just want a straight explanation why BT is not resolving this issue by sending out an engineer? 

My neighbour is with BT and they are receiving a solid 65 - 70 mb.

Considering my neighbour just lives right next door, they have better speeds and why not the same?

Completely unacceptable!  My neighbour has same set up in the house and internal wiring is the same as were put in by the developer this time last year.

MFF

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 18 of 34

If you have a HH5, please post the line stats in Troubleshooting, Helpdesk (lines 1-13)
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
ModernFamilyfan
Contributor
Message 19 of 34

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ34131962
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 22/12/13
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:10 days, 08:03:05
6. Data rate:12979 / 59974
7. Maximum data rate:12640 / 34619
8. Noise margin:5.7 / 6.4
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 18.1
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 18.1
11. Data sent/received:3.2 GB / 4.2 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 20 of 34

Something is wrong with that HH5 - the data rate far exceeds the supposed max. You could try a factory reset before requesting a replacement.
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings