Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stewart1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

FTTC availability

Hello

I hope someone can point me in the right direction with this.

This question is raised on behalf of my father in law who is struggling to upgrade to FTTC despite a new cabinet recently being installed outside his property.

Their existing ADSL is ok but not reliable.

I know from looking at BT DSL CHECKER that other houses on the same road are connected to the new cabinet of the exchange and are capable of 80/20 FTTC.

BT really need Openreach to survey the address and confirm this is possible, I thought there was an emphasis on Openreach and service providers to get people onto super fast broadband as soon as possible and the infrastructure is now there but for a couple of spans of dropwire.

How do we sort this out?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: FTTC availability

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive. Once you have removed your phone number, post a screen shot on the forum for information about what is available.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

If it does not show a cabinet number it will be because you are on an Exchange Only(EO) line. This means you can not get Infinity because you are not connected to a cabinet, instead you are connected directly to the exchange.

Sometime in the future Openreach may install a cabinet out side the exchange and this will allow EO lines to connect to a cabinet. This however is not high on their priority list so may take some time.

Use your phone number. If you don't have a BT number use the address checker. It is more accurate than the post code checker which can cover more than one cabinet.

CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 13

@Stewart1wrote:

Hello

I hope someone can point me in the right direction with this.

This question is raised on behalf of my father in law who is struggling to upgrade to FTTC despite a new cabinet recently being installed outside his property.

Their existing ADSL is ok but not reliable.

I know from looking at BT DSL CHECKER that other houses on the same road are connected to the new cabinet of the exchange and are capable of 80/20 FTTC.

BT really need Openreach to survey the address and confirm this is possible, I thought there was an emphasis on Openreach and service providers to get people onto super fast broadband as soon as possible and the infrastructure is now there but for a couple of spans of dropwire.

How do we sort this out?

Thanks in advance.

Stewart

Hi there @Stewart1

Just to clarify, is your father with BT for his ADSL?  You mentioned the DSL Checker, could you access it again (if he's with BT use his telephone number, if not his address) and if possible copy and past the info into here? Or even better a screenshot? Note: Please remove any address or phone number before posting. 

Here's my example: 

11CT_Address_FTTC.JPG

Note I am not on BT so I cannot use my number.  Just want to see what is available to him. 

Then we can advise better for you. 

EDIT: Must work on replying faster... @gg30340 beat me to it 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Stewart1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

0 Ratings
Stewart1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Hello

This is where the issue lies as with the number (which is on BT) it only shows ADSL 2+ as being available, the cabinet is 2miles away from the house.

However a new cabinet has been installed literally 30m from their front door, how do we get BT to get Openreach to reroute the line through this new cabinet.

I can screenshot the BT DSL checker later but it may not be that useful.

I used to work for Openreach so have a reasonable level of knowledge, it’s about getting the right people to speak to the right people!

What is the best approach?

Thanks

Stewart
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

There are numerous posts on the forum similar you yours and openreach has responded in all cases that they will not change you to a different cabinet just so you can get a faster broadband connection If you worked for openreach then maybe you know someone you can talk to but the forum cannot help you move cabinet

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Stewart1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Even when the difference is so vast?

I will have a look for some similar posts, if you could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. 

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 13

@Stewart1wrote:

I can screenshot the BT DSL checker later but it may not be that useful.

Thanks

Stewart

It would be very useful.  Also IF OR are installing a closer cabinet who knows they may have something else in mind with the local connections.  Can anyone nearby get any Fibre? 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Stewart1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

The first screenshot is father in law's line and second is an address 200m down the lane (rural Dorset)Screenshot_2018-04-01-19-41-13~02.jpg

Screenshot_2018-04-01-20-54-14~01.jpg

I appreciate it is not that simple to change routes but this is to change from 1.5mbit to 40+, it will happen some time, we just want to escalate this.

The posts I have read seem different to our situation, cab 2 is 2miles away and cab15 is 30metres.

Thank you

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 10 of 13

If the nearby cabinet has just been installed it is possible (not guaranteed) it is an "infill" cabinet. If this is the case then lines to be migrated to it will already be decided and there is nothing a customer or ISP can do to change the decision of Openreach.

Even if the line is on the list don't hold your breath as it can take up to 3 months before even starting. As it will entail a brief loss of service to customers Openreach have to have the go ahead from all service providers.