So, Fibre with Halo 2 49-72mb. I have always found that I get a data rate approximately 10mb slower than my max data rate on my hub stats.
On 3rd August, my SNR at (my request) was reset to go back to 6db having been stuck at 9db for a while. So SNR was then staying between 6.2-6.3db and in past few days has been constant at 6.1 which has shown the max data rate to adjust ever so slightly however my data rate figure has stayed constant at 54.781mbps regardless of how the noise margin tweaks 0.1db etc. Does it look like I am on a banded profile?
When running speed tests through speedsmart app, I am consistently getting 53-54mb but the first few seconds it is starting up at 70mb.
BT did checks from their end and showed no issues on the phone line either. I checked with a corded phone through filter and test socket and all I could hear was the faintest of dull hum/hiss like you would do with anything using electricity. They did say it could be showing some kind of interference but there is nothing else plugged in at that mains socket apart from phone and hub. My connection never drops out of drops significantly, any ideas?
DSL uptime on screenshot is since last time I took out faceplate to use test socket. Otherwise always stable.
I don't think you are in a banded profile did speed change when you were using the test socket - actual or attainable
which exchange and cab are you on?
Speed did not change on test socket, actual and attainable remained the same.
I am on Netherley (Liverpool) exchange and cab no35, distance to the green cabinet from my address is 300m using Google maps.
Only time speed has changed was when SNR was reset to 6db. All cables are underground too.
as your connection speed is below the handback then I would phone 150 and get broadband engineer back to see if they can get speed up to expected range
when you do quiet line test with corded phone I would expect total silence no hum or hiss
What is interesting is those handback speeds only got updated in the past week and use to be in high 40s.
The noise I can hear is so faint, really have to concentrate to hear it. It doesn't sound like static or anything which just makes me think its not a true noise issue but considering my data rate is 10mb slower then max is confusing. When I had BT check last week they said there was no signs of any issues to the line and possibly interference in the household.
Edit: mimimum guaranteed speed on contract is 42mb so been told nothing can be done at their end before.
Just edited my previous post to reflect that and saw this. My minimum guarantee is 42mb. Just wondering what would consistently cause a 10mb difference between actual and attainable.