cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 25

Re: FTTC but not FTTP

In one of your posts you state 3 months of slow broadband after switching from Sky, but Sky and BT use the same Openreach FTTC equipment, so , provided you are comparing the same product ( 40 or 80Mb ) then there is no reason why BT wouldn’t be  the same speed as Sky, so if you have had 3 months of slow speed with BT how long were you with Sky and how would you rate the speed they delivered ?.
Anyway as already stated, moving to VM doesn’t need the Mods intervention , you simply contact VM yourself, if the phone number is ported from BT to VM then your BT service will cease when VM claim the number, if the phone number is unimportant, then you would need to contact BT yourself,.

Assuming the phone number is unimportant, you wouldn’t need to coordinate the BT cease and VM provide as they are separate networks , you could wait until he VM service is in and working before ceasing the BT service if you wanted to, that way ensures you are not left for a period with no service 

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 25

@Carlusha  You cannot perform a SWITCH from the Openreach platform to Virgin.  You MUST cancel the BT contract yourself. Virgin has its own bespoke platform.  You are not just swiching providers you are switching technology as well.

Virgin will just install what is requested they will not resolve anything with any other provider.

@Anonymous  You can easily work out what the cancellation fee will be yourself. You know how much a month you are paying, just multiply that by the number of months left on your contract.

Message 23 of 25

@pippincpwrote:

@Carlusha  You cannot perform a SWITCH from the Openreach platform to Virgin.  You MUST cancel the BT contract yourself. Virgin has its own bespoke platform.  You are not just swiching providers you are switching technology as well.

Thank you. I stand corrected. I just thought it unlikely Virgin would have a cable in a small town/village and was under the impression that they too use the Openreach telephone lines for their faster offerings.

0 Ratings
Message 24 of 25

I used to live in a little village where Nynex installed cable TV. That was then taken over by Cable and Wireless, they were then taken over by NTL who later amalgameted with Telewest who then became Virgin Media. All this happened over a lot of years but, it started as just cable tv. Then dial up intenet came along and NTL offered a sort of internet via the set top box (wasn't all that good) and also offered dial up outside of their cabled areas via reselling BT dial up. I assume Telewest did the same.

Fast forward a few years and ADSL comes along roughly at the same time as DOCSIS does (slightly before). NTL continued to resell BT's offering of ADSL services outside of the area they had cable TV but introduced  internet via the DOCSIS platform for their cable TV customers. This was a groundbreaker. The cable companies ditched the reselling of other services and transferred those customers to another provider.

Not long after Telewest appeared ripe for a takeover. They managed to fight that off (sort of) and a merger took place instead and Virgin Media was born shortly afterwards.

Fast forward again. Now Virgin media have upgraded all headends and downwards to DOCSIS 3.1 once the full backbone access is complete VM can offer 1Gb connections to every customer with a simple hub upgrade. I would expect the backbone access to be complete in the next 12 months.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 25

wow whats with the rude reply above, someone trying to help and get that. comment reported