Did you mean: 
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 65

Re: FTTC connection 300 feet from cab poor downstream

Go to solution

@stoswald wrote:
It's a new bt78aand is on the outside wall, the phone wire runs about 7ft from this point, do I open it or not?

On the outside wall, you don`t mean outside the house do you, I hope not, as its not waterproof.

You can open it if its inside. Look for damp or corrosion. There should be a single pair comin in, and one going out. The unused pair of the dropwire should go nowhere.

0 Ratings
stoswald
Contributor
Message 32 of 65

Go to solution
Definitely inside, but on the wall facing outside! ☺️
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 65

Go to solution

See my last post about opening it up.

I am looking for a bad connection, damp or corrosion, or a bridge tap (extra wires connected by mistake), like the spare pair from the dropwire. I have seen that before on a private circuit.

Dead spiders maybe.

0 Ratings
stoswald
Contributor
Message 34 of 65

Go to solution
It's a new drop wire with two wires connected to the wire that runs to the socket, some brick dust looks damp where the hole was drilled but the joins in the wire are encased in plastic.
The other wires on the drop wire are cut off. There is someould in that corner however when I had sky installed he put clear sealer around the drop wire in point as BT or hadn't.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 65

Go to solution

It sounds fine, so there could be an issue with water in the DP at the top of the pole, or a bad "D" side pair from the cabinet, but there is nothing you can do about that.

Just as a final confirmation, that last test that you displayed the connection speed from the home hub, was that taken while you were connected to the "real" test socket, which was located behind the fitered faceplate?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 65

Go to solution

if you have SKY then normally your sky box would be connected to the phone line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 65

Go to solution

@imjolly wrote:

if you have SKY then normally your sky box would be connected to the phone line

That is very true, I wonder where its been connected into?

Perhaps there is another connection block somewhere?

A Sky box across the line, would ruin the broadband signal.

0 Ratings
stoswald
Contributor
Message 38 of 65

Go to solution
Yes it was, it's still like that now so I can monitor.
I did have an issue with the landline last week, which was caused by that loose screw, that I've cured by re screwing correctly and flexing the tension pins on the landline part of the master socket so the phone no longer rings once, I fault checked by putting the phone in the test socket.

Just for the record I had a perfect 40/10 with sky fttc llu. Which sort of makes a mockery of the slow speeds now. Least we've sorted the issue isn't in my house and hopefully a mod will pick this up and we can get to the bottom of this.
Some odd thoughts I have had are the router is faulty and set some how for 52/20 or bras is stuck and needs resetting.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 65

Go to solution

Where is the Sky box connnected to the phone line, if you stiil have it?

The issue is the fact that the max data rate is also low, and the noise margin is about right, so its not a stuck profile, it something restricting the bandwidth.

Just a quick question, are you using any form of powerline adapters anywhere in the house, to connect network devices?

0 Ratings
stoswald
Contributor
Message 40 of 65

Go to solution
I pulled out of sky TV last September once they bumped my non contract price up. It was never connected by a flat cat e cable from the back of the q router to the sky box. The only similarity is that the drop wire and lnb down are about 4" apart and my TV is using freesat rather than sky, direct into the TV. I will change back to aerial just in case the lnb is causing interference to the dropline
0 Ratings