cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

FTTC install. No line detected... ...but there is one

My daughter is moving this week into a house which has been empty for several months and she has to work from home.  The phone has been disconnected but there is still a line into the property that goes to a BT socket. I completely understand that BT aren’t doing installs if it means doing work inside but I think FTTC could be enabled without doing that? Unfortunately the message BT get from Openreach is that they can’t detect a line to the property. Before I set up something temporarily with 4G which would be far from ideal I was just wondering whether there was any way to convince BT/Openreach that there is a line or if ‘computer says no’ is the end of the road? For example, would it help if we could find the old phone number?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: FTTC install. No line detected... ...but there is one

Just because you have a physical line entering the property it doesn't mean that it is connected all the way back to the exchange. That being the case, Openreach have no means of determining what is required in order to re-instate the circuit. It is even possible that the line entering the house is faulty and needs replacement.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 4

There is a distinction between an OR socket and connection to a DP ( distribution point ) and a connection all the way back to the local exchange, if the socket has a soft dialtone , then the line is all the way back ( in a status of ‘stopped’, ) and normally can be ‘started’ without a visit to the property,  if the records don’t show a stopped line at the address, the job is normally appointed for a visit in case a visit is necessary, in many cases even when an appointment is ‘needed’, you don’t necessarily ‘see’ the engineer , if they can re-establish the connection externally, they may call and ask you to try it, if it’s OK , they move onto the next job.
If the property was previously Talk Talk or Sky , then ‘BT’ wouldn’t necessary be able to detect the address as being recently served , in the first instance , check the socket for a soft dialtone.

AFAIK, the jobs are still allocated , but the engineer won’t enter the property , and certainly no ‘internal’ work is being entertained, so if the existing socket isn’t in the ideal position ( but works ) that’s all you would get....as you already know, once the line is working, FTTC doesn’t need a visit to the address just to the street  cabinets

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 4

Thanks for the advice. I’ve checked and the line is dead. It was working 6 - 9 months ago but the house has empty since so I think it’s most likely it has just been disconnected somewhere.

Unfortunately BT won’t allocate the job on the basis you suggest at the moment. The message about ‘no line detected’ stops them being able to progress it. It’s understandable under the present circumstances but still slightly frustrating  because it would make a huge difference to this family and there’s a good chance that, as you say, the work could be completed without going in the house. 
0 Ratings