cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GarySN
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

FTTC or not?

I'm looking at buying a house, and one of the criteria for us is availability of FTTC. I don't have a number to search on, but obviously an address, which yields the attached results. The cabinet is connected to the exchange in Alton, Hampshire, which is showing as accepting orders.  Does the fact that there is no mention of FTTC mean it's not coming to this cabinet?

WyckBroadband.png

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: FTTC or not?

Odd, the database looks a bit messed-up for the addresses in that postcode. Althought it doesn't mention FTTC, it does say fibre multicast, which usually means the cabinet is fibre-enabled. It could be they haven't finished the fibre yet, so you should keep monitoring the output from the DSL checker.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

It's not odd, multicast is made available from the Exchange, not the individual DSLAM.

So given the results I would say FTTC is available to some of the PCP's on the Exchange, just not the OP's PCP.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

I disagree. ADSL multicast is from the exchange but fibre multicast is from the cabinet.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 11

Hi GarySN,

This may help. Here are the FTTC DSLAM cabinets in the postcode area GU342

GU342DN - Cabinet 20 Alton Exchange - Available
GU342ED - Cabinet NMACDG Alton Exchange - Still being installed/commissioned
GU342EW - Cabinet NMACDH Alton Exchange - Still being installed/commissioned
GU342FF - Cabinet  21 Alton Exchange - Available
GU342LF - Cabinet NMACDR Alton Exchange - Still being installed/commissioned
GU342NA - Cabinet NMACDE Alton Exchange - Still being installed/commissioned
GU342NF - Cabinet NMACDM Alton Exchange - Still being installed/commissioned
GU342NH - Cabinet NMACDF Alton Exchange - Still being installed/commissioned
GU342QE - Cabinet 26 Alton Exchange - Available
GU342RF - Cabinet NMACDC Alton Exchange - Still being installed/commissioned
GU342RZ - Cabinet NMACDI Alton Exchange - Still being installed/commissioned
GU342RZ - Cabinet NMACDT Alton Exchange - Still being installed/commissioned
GU342SR - Cabinet NMACDK Alton Exchange - Still being installed/commissioned

Completed, number of postcodes analysed : 279 Out of : 279. 

As you see above your cabinet is already FTTC upgraded (since apparently 29/03/2013)

From the location of PCP (Cabinet) 26 and your postcode it could be that your too far away from the cabinet to obtain a FTTC connection, and therefore that is why it's not showing on the BT Wholesale database for your property.

FTTC fibre broadband uses VDSL or VDSL2 signals that travel from the FTTC cabinet to your property via the existing copper (sometimes aluminium) line and can currently achieve upto 80mbps. The further away you are from your FTTC cabinet the slower the fibre FTTC broadband will be.

However VDSL/2 signals used for FTTC broadband connection degrade far quicker in terms of distance than conventional ADSL broadband signal do.

Generally speaking if your landline is over 1500 meters in length from the FTTC cabinet to your property then you may not be able to get BT Infinity as you may not be able to achieve over 15mbps, though maybe able to get BT Retail's sub 15mbps FTTC fibre broadband service called BT Faster Unlimited broadband (FTTC) if your line can cope with the VDSL/2 higher frequencies.

Also quality of your line will also effect what can be achieved, and remember that your line may not take a direct route to the cabinet, and therefore can be much longer.

Here is a graph that shows the ADSL(G.DMT,ADSL2 and ADSL2+) and VDSL/2 (FTTC) signal with distance. Please be aware that all ADSL connections are depend on distance from local exchange, where as FTTC (VDSL/2) connections are depend on distance from your FTTC (DSLAM) cabinet. Though all connection types are also depend on line quality. 

This graph is also just a general estimation of what the speed could be achieved and not the actual speed you will receive. Also your line maybe longer than you would think as it may not go the direct way to either the cabinet.

There is a thing called FTTP on Demand (FTTPoD) where FTTC areas can request to get FTTP installed to their property if their exchange has been allows FTTPoD, though may cost you thousands if you go down this route once ISPs take up this FTTPoD service. However this option is not available to you.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

The cab is about 3000 metres away 😞
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 7 of 11

Hi GarySN,

You could try looking at the Hampshire County Council website  to see what plans if any they have for you.

Hampshire County Council signed a contract with BT to build on the existing commercial footprint in the county so that at least 90% of all premises will have access to superfast broadband by the end of 2015.

Hampshire County Council together with district and borough partners has invested £5 million in the project and were awarded the same figure from BDUK. BT is contributing an additional £3.8 million towards the cost of installing the new fibre infrastructure bringing the total investment in the project to just over £13.8 million.

The first communities to benefit from this project are expected to have access to fibre broadband by the end of 2013, with the programme due to be completed by the end of 2015.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
GarySN
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

OK, a glimpse of hope...

I've been to https://www3.hants.gov.uk/broadband/broadband-signup... to check the state of rural broadband in the area. When I go to enter the address for the property, I get the response below.

Can anybody confirm if this is good news???

Already available or due to be covered by commercial upgrades

You are in an area which either already receives superfast broadband or where there are commercial plans to provide it before 2015.

For this reason, you do not need to register with the faster broadband campaign.

If superfast broadband is available to you now, the box below will display the maximum predicted speed that you should be able to access. Because superfast broadband is delivered using different technology to ‘conventional’ broadband you will need to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to find out how to take advantage of these speeds, or use a price comparison site to see what services are available.

Speeds currently available in your area

Superfast Broadband
Type: BT FTTC xDSL

Up to 24Mbps basic broadband
Type: BT 21CN xDSL
The maximum speed your line can support is 2.5Mbps.

Up to 8Mbps basic broadband
Type: BT xDSL
The maximum speed your line can support is 2Mbps.

0 Ratings
GarySN
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Hi jac_95

Thanks for the detailed response.  Given that it appears the house is to far from the cabinet.  Is there any further enhancement likely to be provided?  FTTP for instance?  I think I know the answer, but I'm trying to remain optimistic!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

if you are to far for FTTC then unless you pay a very large some of money to get fibre from cab to home then no FTTP either

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings