Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spann87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 24

FTTC speeds at peak times

Hi everyone,

To cut a very long story short: We have recently bought Infinity, got everything installed and everything was great. A couple of weeks ago however, while downloading a podcast I noticed speed was slow - checked and we were getting about 6mbps.

The speed seems to be fine overnight and through most of the day, but in the evenings from around 5pm the speed can plummet to as low as 0.5mbps - while upload will often sit very happily at 9mbps.

Engineer spent three hours at the property yesterday, line syncs at 39.9mb, but a speed test done on any device (including his laptop wired direct into the HH5 with nothing else attached) was bringing back 4-6mbps - this dropped as low as 0.18mb last night (Which was very weird as two hours before it was reporting 15-20mbps, which is unusual at that time of night).

The engineer was at our house for three hours yesterday and checked EVERYTHING, and he has advised that there is nothing wrong with the line at all. He even gave me an old VDSL moden to plug into the HH3 I had knocking about upstairs - when I first plugged this in it was reporting 20mbps but after walking the dog for 40 mins I came back in to 2mbps (Which as I mentioned, went back up to 20 not long after).

Saturday just gone speed sat at 4-10mb all day; the week before it was running at 25-30mb.

He's advised we're not being profiled in any way, and currently BT are "looking into" the issue, but I was wondering whether anyone on here could offer any thoughts? 

EDIT: I live in the CH4 area, connected to the Buckley exchange.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
-AndyH-
Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: FTTC speeds at peak times

Do you ever get speed test results close to your sync?

0 Ratings
spann87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 24

Occasionally yes!

Quite often first thing in the morning (I get up at 6:30) I get 35mb plus, and if I try at 2/3am for example (Was running automated tests every couple of hours) I get 35mbps.

Last night it literally reached the point where Facebook would not refresh; it was like we didn't have an internet connection - then all of a sudden, speeds pinged back up to about 6mbps.

0 Ratings
-AndyH-
Expert
Message 4 of 24

It sounds like either a cabinet fault or congestion.

Next time pages don't load etc., can you try pinging bbc.co.uk (Start > Run > cmd (Return) > ping -n 100 bbc.co.uk) and post the results? Ideally this should be from a wired connection.

0 Ratings
spann87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 24

Hi Andy,

Engineer checked the cabinet, basically said he tested both ways and everything looked fine.

Funnily enough my automated tests do ping BBC, and they very rarely go over 40m/s - although I should point out that last night's less than half a meg was a new low...

EDIT: I reckon it's congestion, there's currently two big estates being built on the same exchange and I have a feeling it can't cope.

Would moving to an ISP with unbundled kit help, do you reckon?

EDIT 2: That said, I know a few people on the same exchange that have no issues at all.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
-AndyH-
Expert
Message 6 of 24

The engineer will have checked your sync speed to the cabinet, but it's a different engineer who would check the cabinet to the exchange and whether a port is faulty in the cabinet.

Do you see any packet loss on those automated tests? I would expect to see packet loss if your speeds are dropping that low.

It depends what the problem is - 'normally' congestion issues are picked up and fixed within 48 hours. If it's a backhaul issue, then moving to a LLU ISP will probably make a difference. But if it's a cabinet/exchange fault, then moving to a LLU ISP should make no difference.

Each exchange will have multiple backhaul links, so it could be those people are on a different link to yours.

Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 24

Does your IP address change?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
spann87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Hi Andy - No packet loss at all ever, pretty much - Jitter is at 10ms at most (usually lower, around 3)

Engineer asked them to swap ports yesterday twice (I heard him) but they refused.

I've not checked the IP for consistency, Ray - but I would imagine that plugging the HH3 in yesterday would've assigned me a new IP as it was? I'm nipping home in 20 mins, I'll have a look then.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 24

What happened to the HH5? You can plug the modem into that you know?

What I'm asking is does your IP address change when your speed falls?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
spann87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 24

Hi Ray,

It was more to rule out that it wasn't the actual HH5 that was causing the problem - All the engineer's support line was telling him was to replace the hub, but it's the second one we've had since July...

I'll have to keep an eye on my IP overnight and let you know on that one, unfortunately, I'll check now (When I'm expecting the line to be fine) and later this evening (When I expect it to be bad)

EDIT: Forgot to mention: We've had two BT engineers out, the first one just replaced the router, plugged the new one in, saw it was putting 25mb through and left. The second bloke was here for a long time (as the problem started mid way through his visit) and couldn't solve it.

0 Ratings