Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Forthay
Expert
Message 1 of 3

FTTC to FTTP Switch Questions

Go to solution

Just ordered FTTP and I was hoping to learn more about what to expect installation wise from the community 😀. We currently have 80/20 FTTC.

Will there be two wires  coming into the house from the pole or will the existing wire be replaced,

when does the old service typically get disconnected (hoping it’s at the same time as the install) and

finally is the smaller ONT box now the standard equipment  installed or do I need to ask for it?

thanks in advance 👍

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: FTTC to FTTP Switch Questions

Go to solution

Currently the copper wire will remain and a fibre cable will be fitted. You can't request an ONT as it depends on the equipment at the headend.

Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: FTTC to FTTP Switch Questions

Go to solution

Q. Will there be two wires  coming into the house from the pole or will the existing wire be replaced,

A. If it’s Blown Fibre then you will definitely get a second cable from the Pole to the House. If it’s Connectorised Fibre the Fibre Cable does have a Copper Pair in it but not all Engineers use it and leave the existing Copper Drop Wire in situ for your phone service. There’s a list of reasons why Engineers don’t and or won’t use the Copper Pair in the FTTP Cable but the main reason is it’s got very thin insulation and is prone to being Looped out when it’s wrapped around the Clamp. Personally I won’t use it.

Q. when does the old service typically get disconnected (hoping it’s at the same time as the install) and.

A. With the exception of LLU Providers I’ve never seen the old connection switched off prior to or during my time at the house so when it is, is anyone’s guess.

Q. finally is the smaller ONT box now the standard equipment  installed or do I need to ask for it?

Its Standard with FTTP. Without it you ain’t getting FTTP.