cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

FTTH with a master socket upstairs

Didn’t really think about this and I’ve searched for an answer but nothing seems to be exactly the same as my situation and with my install now just weeks away...

So I’ve had my master socket upstairs at the back of the house since I had ISDN then ADSL then Infinity.  

I understand BT will install an ONT and will probably want to install it near enough to the front door where the nearest wall socket/phone socket is but I’m not sure how I can then get all my equipment (8+) currently connected to Ethernet in that upstairs room still connected to the hub. 

None of the information on the site seems to be that clear on how the connection works once it gets through the front door.

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: FTTH with a master socket upstairs

The ONT is just a modem, simply run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to where the hub is situated.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

That's what I was afraid of. Running an ethernet cable from one side of the house to the other, up the stairs and through a wall is probably a little too much for me (besides, it would need a huge cable)  plus what happens to the old master socket upstairs.

Actually, what I assume is a copper cable has been already run around the house in order to do this for the current setup but that was thinner and easier to get around a door frame and on the skirting board of the stairs.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Cat5e cable isn't huge, it's not much thicker than the existing phone cable.

Voice service is provided in one of 3 ways.

1. your existing copper cable remains and nothing changes, the fibre is provided separately.

2. The new cable to provide FTTP is a combined fibre and copper cable, the fibre terminates on the ONT, the copper on the master socket co located with the ONT.

3. Your voice service is provided by digital voice via the fibre, no copper connection.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

As it has not been posted how the master socket upstairs is wired in, it's hard to say for sure if it won't be installed in the same place. For instance if the fibre is coming from a pole (rather than underground) then it may be possible to have installed in the same place.

If on the other hand if the fibre is routed underground then  it depends if the conduit has been routed at the front or back of the property. Either way, without knowing the full details of your current setup it's difficult to give an answer, as I do know that some installs have taken place on the 1st Floor of houses (in certain circumstances).  

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

if it is for a phone line, wouldn't a wireless DEC phone do the job? also, if you need a wired internet connection upstairs you can get powerline adapters which are good
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

@Checked2013  The OP states in message 3 that a copper cable connects his master socket to the incoming cable.

However I agree the installation will be very dependent on how the fibre will be delivered and layout of house.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 22

No, It's for the Smart Hub 2, so would need the Cat5a cable, which is a pain because it would require some DIY.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 22

You could use powerline adaptors between the ONT and Hub but speed may suffer.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Yeah, I already use powerline from upstairs study where the current master socket is to the lounge and my kids room and it's not 100% reliable.  It would also require splitting out to a hub (which I have) to supply at least 4 things I need connected to ethernet.  So running a cable is the most reliable way, by the sound of it, though the wife won't be happy with that.  It would need to run around the frame of the front door and toilet door, up the stairs, through a wall and into the study.

0 Ratings