cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 22

Re: FTTH with a master socket upstairs

One solution would be to get in a network installer/Electrician. It may be more expensive solution, but if you get someone who knows what they are doing, then all the wiring can be hidden in the walls instead of being routed around door frames.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 22

@Checked2013 Current copper and new fibre are underground coming in through the front (fibre already coiled up outside ready for the work to be done).  

Master socket added in 2000 (just after we moved in) to the study which is at the top back of the house and it looks as if the BT engineer used copper cable from the socket next to the front door and pinned it around our front door and up the stairs, drilling it through the wall to create the master socket on the other side.  

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 22

Electrician would be good but sadly out of my price range (of zero pounds!) at this point in time so any solution would be DIY.  But something to bear in mind for the future.

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 22

Sounds like my solution suggested in message 11 is the way to go then

Edit: It may not be as expensive as you think

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 22

@Pblive wrote:

Yeah, I already use powerline from upstairs study where the current master socket is to the lounge and my kids room and it's not 100% reliable.  It would also require splitting out to a hub (which I have) to supply at least 4 things I need connected to ethernet.  So running a cable is the most reliable way, by the sound of it, though the wife won't be happy with that.  It would need to run around the frame of the front door and toilet door, up the stairs, through a wall and into the study.

If you are currently using powerline adaptors, you won't be able to use them to connect from ONT to WAN port of hub as well as using them to connect devices to hub LAN ports.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 16 of 22

Practice may possibly have changed since my FTTP install years ago but, for what it's worth:- 

It started out with OR coming out to survey the job, then, at a later date (we weren't in but luckily didn't need to be) they installed the fibre to a new external junction box. We then had another OR guy come round who asked us where we wanted the ONT and ran the fibre, external to the property, to where we wanted it and fitted it in our preferred place. 

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 22

@Anonymous  I think Coronavirus may have changed at least some of it.

So far:

Booked for the work to be completed beginning of July

Someone has already come around to feed the FO cable to the front of the house where it currently sits in a loop outside.

BT initially said they will just come on that date and fix everything up and may not even have to come in the house (which sounds doubtful if they have to fit an ONT).

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 22

Sorry, by hub I mean an Ethernet Hub rather than the BT Smart Hub
0 Ratings
Message 19 of 22

Thanks for all the insight so far.

Latest is a text from Openreach with a video showing that they will not be installing extensions or other sockets due to Coronavirus.  

So I'm fine with installing the ONT box by the front door where my first phone socket is and working from there myself, possibly resigned to having the Smart Hub there and use powerline and a gigabyte POE hub I have lying around for wired connections in the study.

The only outstanding question is whether they can do this if my current master socket is wired upstairs (as below) with a cable running up the stairs.  Is that just taken off the main line by the front door and does it matter in terms of where they need to install the ONT?

master socket in study.png

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 22

The chances are that your present copper line will remain for phone calls for now. As for the siting of the ONT, speak to the engineer when he turns up. They do try to place the ONT where the customer wants it but there could be good reason why it can't be done. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

0 Ratings