cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

FTTP 1 download speed suddenly dropped

Go to solution

Morning

We’ve had FTTP for 18 months. (140mbps package) Whenever I do Ookla Speedtest, I’ve always been getting 130-140 plus download speed.  Hover, the last few days, it’s been down to 90 ish. (Ethernet connection on desktop pc) I know it doesn’t make any odds as far as streaming etc, but we are paying for that package. Is it possible that some sort of engineering/network maintenance causing this problem?

Want to avoid ringing India with standard script, request to restart router etc. Happy to do latter if people think that might help.

Thanks

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: FTTP 1 download speed suddenly dropped

Go to solution

All calls have been answered in the UK/ireland for over a year now so no need to worry about getting India now, although the standard script you mention will be a standard diagnostic process if no issues are seen

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Cheers. Something v obvious has changed in last few days, and it’s not internal. Will restart router first to see if that makes a difference. (BT checker says our line is fine)

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

Just done router reset and still 92-93 download. Something definitely changed. Probably need to ring BT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Re: FTTP 1download speed suddenly dropped

Go to solution

Getting even more surreal now. Tried on line test, and confirms speed less than 100mbps guarantee. Asked me to remove other devices and try again. (Hub connected to pc and bt power adapter in power socket.  Was getting 140 with these connected for months!)

Then selected run other tests, but got “request method post not supported”.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

As it a contended service, I expect that there a lot of users on your node at the moment, all trying to get the fastest speed.

See this post https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/900mb-s-service-only-reaching-around-500mb-s/m-p/2163...

It would affect all FTTP connected customers, no matter what maximum speed you were originally getting.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

I sorted it. I’m using older Ethernet to connect hub to ont box. It’s old cable and also has a connector to extend it. I reconnected the Ethernet and back to 140 now.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Usually, when You ring designated Full Fibre (ending on 847) number, you will end up with UK/IRE local support team (Exeter, Swansea, Newcastle)...

But you will also falls to "your speed is over our Speed Guarantee" and not really willing to do anything, most likely.

Unfortunately, "speed guarantee" for BT doesn't really means nothing more, then as it's speed between Your Hub and respective Exchange...

Nature of broadband means, as speed will fluctuate, over different times of the day. Try to do tests with Ookla with selection of different test servers (for example, I am getting less impressive results when choose "Talk Straight" then when choose "AQL - Leeds" even later giving me better ping, speed is better at other one.

Most about your "last mile" will let you know choice of closest decent test server, and stability over the different speed test at different time of the day.

It's entirely possible, as connection towards your Exchange is bit on capacity, and there will be impossible to do anything with it, simply, because as far as you reach consistently 100/30 Mbps down/up between your Hub and Exchange (again, not speed of internet itself, just speed of the line), BT will not bother OpenReach to do nothing.

For example, my FF900 was very very unstable, with throttled upload to 50 Mbps, and I was unable to hold to account fort it. Upload speed as solved via reprofiling of the line, upon request here, and download speed is now solved due, neighbours building  is due to go live as new development, and OR adjust route between Exchange and our and neighbours building in expectation of new activations surge.

If not that, because I was over 450 Mbps speed guarantee, they was not willing to do nothing with it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for that long explanation, but it was the BT test that flagged sowed below minimum 100mbps guarantee. I assume that only based on speed from exchange to property? Happy now anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

Speed below..

0 Ratings