cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

FTTP 900 - Smart Hub 2 - Speed not being distributed by router

Hi all,

Recently upgraded to Fibre 900 and although upload speed is fine, wifi is noweher near reacing its full potential (and it's even worse when connected directly using ethernet cable).  According to my bt, i'm getting the full speed from exchnage to hub, but after that, the speed is dropping to half of what it should be as if the router just doesn't want to hand out the full potential.  Could there be an issue with the hub.  Not sure what else could be causing such a huge drop when i'm wired in directly.  Tests below were using enet cable (and multiple were tried).  Router has been restarted and no change.  Min speed guarantee is 450mb, however, as the bt checker is reporting all good, i'm not sure what it could be other than the router itself.  Any help appreciated.

Smart Setup is also switched off.

BT speed.jpgfast checker.jpg

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP 900 - Smart Hub 2 - Speed not being distributed by router

This was on wifi from my Galaxy s20 plus

Screenshot_20210412-130413_FAST.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

WiFi will always be a bit lower on speed unless you use a WiFi6 router with a wifi6 enabled device. Best way to check with an ethernet cable connected to the hub. Also try another cable just to rule out a faulty cable or try to connect you computer or device directly to the ONT and set up a pppoe connection ont it. Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com. Password: bt   

Also make sure the ethernet port on your device is gigabit capable.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Sounds like classic Smart Setup problems, turn it off (What is Smart Setup on the BT Hub? How can I turn it on and off? | BT Help)

Message 5 of 10

Smart setup is off already

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Tests carried out were with an Ethernet cable and tried more than one.  Network card def GB.  I'll try the direct to ONT and see how things go

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

i'm a bit wary about trying this setup as need to use my work pc as only thing with a GB ethernet port.  I signed up on the Fibre 500 but then after install decided to go whole hog and go for the Fibre 900.  while i did notice the Upload going to what it should for a bit, the download never moved passed what i was getting before and the upload has since returned to 50.  could my change to 900 have stalled ?  any way for a mod to be able to check this out ?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Hi @alan_mc 

Thanks for posting, I can certainly have that checked out for you.

I've sent you a private message asking for the details I need to investigate.

You can access your private messages by clicking here

Thanks

Stuart

Message 9 of 10

Thanks @StuartH , message sent

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Hi @alan_mc 

Thanks, I can see your message in our queue we should be in touch with you once it reaches the top.

Stuart