cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 5

FTTP - Activating Ethernet Ports

So I have moved into a new build flat, which has FTTP.

I currently have my Smart Hub connected directly to the Openreach modem box via the red ethernet cable (port 1 -> wan), and the hub is currently sat in the hallway taking up space and looking a bit out of place. I have an ethernet port in the living room and would like to utilise it. Is there anyway I can move the hub into the living room, connecting via this ethernet port? Thus moving the hub out of the hallway

Thanks in advance

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP - Activating Ethernet Ports

If the other end of that ethernet port terminates near the ONTE, then you should be able to connect an ethernet to the Openreach box into the Ethernet port in the hallway, and then the other Ethernet cable from the port in the livingroom to the hub.

If the two wall socket ports aren't linked to each other then no, you can't.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Would there be any reason why the two wall sockets aren't linked? Seems like a waste of a socket if they aren't
0 Ratings
flamethrower
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 5

It is conceivable that the ethernet points have wires that go to a common patch panel. There might be a common spot where the ports lead to, eg. a patch panel in a cupboard. If there are only two sockets, this isn't likely. Try it and see.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

You'd need to consult the builder who installed them if you're not sure.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings