cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

FTTP Appartment Intall

I live in an appartment blck and Fiber is finally coming to me. I have read a lot about how engineers put the cable in and you need to connect it to your router.

If i cut access into my ceiling and runa draw cable, will the engineer allow me to run the cable anywhere in my apartment I want? Mainly because my router and all my computers are in the living room far from the point of entry.

If i make it easy for them, should this be doable or does it need to go right by the entry point to the appartment?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: FTTP Appartment Intall

The point of entry where the ONT is situated need not be adjacent to where your router is situated.

Simply run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router yourself.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

For MDU’s they use an Invisilight Fibre Cable that wheels off a spool and the excess cable is stored in the box. 

Invisilight Cable is thin, thinner than an iPhone charge cable, not sure if pulling it through a roof space wouldn’t break or compromise the fibre.

Normally they just glue it to the edge of the wall/ceiling.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

the point is we dont want ethernet cable running round the house or in conduit but it just coming out next to my router and our PCs. this is why i want ot run the fiber to the main room. and am willing to make as many holes in the ceiling as needed to run it to where it needs to go.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Perhaps this may help as it will be the solution Openreach uses for installs such as yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwdfNYm_sPw 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Do you have your landlord's permission to run the connection as you describe? Installation in MDUs can be more difficult that standard residentials if landlords won't play ball.
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I own the property so modification in the apartment is not an issue. Is why I wanted to make a clear path in ceiling for install (which would be coming in from above in the first place from the complex corridor)

Plan was to cut out 3 or for patches in ceiling and in the wall down to where I wanted it so it would be very easy to run. More question if the reel would reach and if engineer would be willing to do if I made it super easy for them.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Don’t know, you’d have to ask them. My experience with MDU extends as far as the Network Build part.

I’ve never actually done any Customer Installation work in MDU’s.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for the help anyway.

0 Ratings