cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeBradshaw
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

FTTP, Apple ans Smart Hub2

Hi, Ive got fibre to the property (300mbps). I use a lot of Apple products and I've just upgraded to the smart Hub 2

I've been told by BT that the max I can get with Apple is 65mbps on the Smart Hub 2

Time Machine on Apple now also doesn't work because of the inability to split the channels too

BT advised me to look an the Apple support pages

Has anybody got any more useful advice and ideally a solution?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP, Apple ans Smart Hub2

@MikeBradshaw wrote:

Hi, Ive got fibre to the property (300mbps). I use a lot of Apple products and I've just upgraded to the smart Hub 2

What have you 'upgraded' from?

I've been told by BT that the max I can get with Apple is 65mbps on the Smart Hub 2

No idea why you have been told that, the hub has no idea what equipment is connected to it.

Time Machine on Apple now also doesn't work because of the inability to split the channels too

BT advised me to look an the Apple support pages

Not sure what the problem is with Apple devices and common SSID between wifi bands but the solution is with Apple. It is possible to turn off the bands individually on the SH2 however.

Has anybody got any more useful advice and ideally a solution?

A third part router?

0 Ratings
MikeBradshaw
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

I was upgraded from a Smart Hub1. Speeds were quicker and I didn't have the Time Machine Back Up issue

The solution might be with Apple but they won't offer any support.

I also have the issue of Netatmo, Ring, Alexa, Smart TV's etc needing different bands e.g. Ring has to be on 2.4ghz

Do you know of any 3rd party router that will resolve this please? I stupidly also sent my Smart Hub 1 back for recycling 😞

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 4 of 10

Virtally any 3rd party router will overcome the problem. It depends on what advanced settings you want and price you are prepared to pay.

0 Ratings
MikeBradshaw
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thanks,

Just looking for one that works with Apple @ 300 MbPS and has split channels. Any suggestions please?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

As @pippincp says, virtually any device will do. You only need a router rather than a combined modem/router. Have look at the Tp Link range possibly best to avoid Netgear products as they don't support BTs implementation of IPv6

0 Ratings
MikeBradshaw
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Thank you

Please forgive my ignorance as I'm a novice to this. Would I still need to use my Smart Hub as a modem in conjunction with a new router?

Regards

Mike

0 Ratings
Highlighted
lifeonmars
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I would suggest, switching off smart set up tab on your smart hub2. (and Keeping it off) 

Also switch off 5Ghz on your Smart Hub2

Connect your devices. Keep Smart set up switched off however

switch back on the 5Ghz on the Smart Hub2  and see how you get on

If changing router  you will need one that has a FTTP Port  

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 9 of 10

You do not need to kee the SH2. Just connect the new router WAN port to the ONT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Bear in mind, if its a new contract, you must not physically dispose of the SH2, as its only on loan from BT, and will need to be returned, or paid for, if you leave.

0 Ratings