cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

FTTP Available in building, but not the flats?

Hey there!

I'm in the process of purchasing a flat, and I'm having a hard time trying to understand what the broadband availability is like. I'm also not in contact with the management company yet, so I'm unable to clarify with them, and my estate agent has no clue either...

Long story short, When I go to the BT Full Fibre page, it looks like FTTP available, but only if I select the building itself. If however I select my flat (or my neighbours), only a copper line is available.

I've tried contacting openreach about this, and they completely misinterpreted what I was saying, and without an easy way to get in contact with them, I figured posting here was my best bet.

I've looked on the various exchange checkers and they're also telling me the same information.

Does anyone know what could be the likely cause?

I was thinking that it's possible FTTP got partially installed to the building, but halted due to COVID (This is actually the situation in my current property...). Or perhaps some database hasn't been updated since install, but this seems unlikely.

I'm assuming the management company are the best people to contact about this, but failing that, should I try again with openreach?

Or if anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks so much!

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: FTTP Available in building, but not the flats?

You’re buying what Openreach would call an MDU.

When Openreach Survey/Plan/Build a PON any MDU is left enough Capacity in the Splitter but no Network is built in it.

There is a Separate MDU Project Team who install the Network in them but unfortunately it’s not as easy as just that. It’s all the BS Politics that come with it, Wayleaves, Permissions from Land Owners, Land Agents, Building Owners, Lessors.

So it could be FTTP exists at the properties surrounding the MDU but not the MDU itself, we’ll not yet anyway.

0 Ratings