cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

FTTP BBU unit

Hi,

I had a battery backup unit connected to my fibre modem, which was occasionally useful when there were power outages. 

I recently had a fault on the line and OpenReach came to investigate. A few weeks later I noticed the BBU was gone - I don't know it went when openReach was here, because I only look when the power goes out...but does anyone know if retrieval of these units is 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: FTTP BBU unit

I don't know of any reason why the BBU should be removed. @Starwire  may know more.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

The BBU was there to Provide a Power Back Up for the FVA Service only. Your Hub wouldn’t have worked off it. 

Openreach no longer provide the FVA Service so they are no longer obliged to Provide/Maintain the ONT BBU.

If you were using the internet during a power cut then you must’ve had a separate power back up for your router. There’s no reason you couldn’t connect the ONT to that as well.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Hi,

Yes the router and server are on UPS. They are separated from the modem by a long cable run though, so not easy to share power - given the modem itself doesn't support PoE

I don't know for sure openReach removed the BBU, just that I had one and now I don't and amb unsure where else it could have gone 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@Starwire 

The BBU was there to Provide a Power Back Up for the FVA Service only. Your Hub wouldn’t have worked off it. 

______________________________________________________________________________________________

It goes without saying you will know best but I was lead to believe it backed up the Hub retaining the internet during a power cut.

You learn something every day. 🙂

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Nope - it just powers the modem. 

On old copper lines, the phone could be used in an ameergency because there were great big batteries at the exchange. 

On FTTP, the fibre needs to be lit from the house end - so power is needed locally to the modem. 

The hub however is just a router - and doesn't get backed up by the BBU - indeed it's not even required for the service to work if you use an alternative router. When I moved from BT to EE, the FTTP router capped all uploads for reasons unknown, so I ended up using a raspberryPi in place of the hub 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I have all my Hub, NAS units and main PC supported by UPS units. In order to keep the ONT powered during a power cut I bought a 12volt Mini UPS from Amazon.  Easy to setup and comes with all the cables needed to interface with the ONT, should you wish to replace the missing BBU.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

In an ideal world I'd replace the enormous openReach enclosure (in quite a hard to hide place) with a single wall plate, and run my own fibre from there to the modem. But that would cause problems were I ever to need to get openReach out to fix the line, since it is their demarcation point - so not worth the risk 🙂  

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

No, the Openreach BBU was purely to power up the ONT to Support the FVA Service in the event of a Power Cut. 

Given most people only have cordless phones they were useless anyway. 

Also the Batteries in them are cheap and deplete to fast. I used them in my Oscillator but they’d barely last a week if that and if you allowed them to fully deplete you couldn’t recharge them.

Also stupidly Openreach never provided the Batteries as a Replacement Item so if you attended a fault and they needed replacing you’d have to take the Batteries out of a BBU from your van stock, which then kinda renders that one useless. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

I bought one of these for a few pounds of ebay and it powers the smart hub. There is however another cable that looks like a router type connection one end and a funny looking cable in the ONT.

What does this cable do? It doesn’t stop it powering up the ONT? Is it for a telephone to go in? Can’t add an image as I don’t know how to edit down in the ipad. 

EDIT: Despite the same output, it does not plug into a smart hub. I gather this means it won’t plug into a smart hub 2 either. What’s the point? Shame but I gather these were just to power the ONT and plug telephone in the ONT

0 Ratings