Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 17

FTTP Battery Backup

Go to solution

I've had FTTP for a few years now with the conventional setup of OR ONT and battery backup, I never saw the point of the battery backup as even now my telephone service is delivered by copper but the installer said he was required to fit it.

I'm now about to redecorate but before I do I was wondering if it's possible to have the apparently unnecessary battery backup box removed and can I do it myself or would I have to pay OR to do it?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: FTTP Battery Backup

Go to solution

fttp.jpg

I assume you mean the unit on the right?

Provided there is a means to power the ONT, once its removed, I cannot see any issues with you removing it yourself.

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks @Keith_Beddoe 

There's a mains adapter feeding the battery backup and another cable from the backup box to the ONT.

Are there any issues you know of with unplugging the mains adapter lead from the backup box and connecting it straight to the ONT? I'm inclined to think not as there is an "Openreach ONT" label on it. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

If the power socket on the ONT is the same as the plug going into the battery backup, I cannot see any problem, as Openreach stopped fitting the battery backup units later on.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/10/openreach-to-stop-providing-battery-backup-for-fttp-br...

Bear in mind that there will probably be two outputs from the BBU. One will be the 12V feed to the ONT, and the other will be a 50V nominal feed to keep the phone circuit working.

You will only need to connect the 12V power unit directly into the ONT, the 50V output would not be needed as you have a separate phone line.

Inside are four rechargeable AA batteries, plus lots of circuitry.

V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe 

Ah, so I might get a few bob for the BBU on ebay 😀

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

Doubt it, at the end of the day it is a bog sandard BBU, nothing special but if you need the money why not?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Somebody with a 12v router may find it useful as a protection against power cuts.

Most of my stuff runs on 12V from a central 12V supply, as we get a lot of power cuts locally.

As I am on ADSL, I do not have to worry about the loss of power to the Openreach cabinets, when the batteries run down.

I often wonder if there is a program to change these batteries every couple of years, as they do eventually fail?

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

@pippincp 

It was just a tongue in cheek comment, I reckon I'd be lucky to get a tenner for it. Then again a tenner would buy me  a lottery ticket which could win me  a million🤸  decisions decisions

😉

0 Ratings
V_Meldrew
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

That article you linked me to earlier states that it's the customers responsibility to maintain the BBU

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Yes, it's yours do with it what you want.

0 Ratings