cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

FTTP Full Fibre 900 speed question

I just got upgraded today to Full Fibre 900 Halo 3 because there was on a£1.00 difference between the old contract. Was on Full Fibre Halo 1 and used to get speeds as expected (74Mb Download, 20Mb Upload) with hardly any lose.

I did a speed test using the BT Speed Tester and get 928Mb Down and 119Mb Up to the Hub 2 which is fine. But Download speed to my devices varies from 350Mb to 450Mb using either WiFi or Ethernet. Upload is okay in both cases. 

Q1. Will the Download speed improve in time?

Q2. Should I Factory Reset my Hub or  Power Cycle the ONT? (I Restarted the Hub but it made no difference).

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP Full Fibre 900 speed question

Will what improve ?, 928Mb download is pretty good, it’s actually more than the 900Mb that the product says it will deliver ( this is deliberate , calling it 1Gb would have complaints from those unhappy getting of  900Mb+, but not 1Gb even though 1Gb  includes ‘overheads’ so would never show 1Gb on test) WiFi speeds are not guaranteed, if you have devices that are wired but not getting close to 900Mb then it won’t just improve, it’s probably the kit you are using isn’t capable of handling the speed the connection is giving you….

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

@iniltous  thank you for your reply. I was just wondering whether to do anything to improve the speeds from the Hub to my devices. I did expect loses but not so much. 

Yes. the speed from BT Exchange to my Hub exceeds what was promised.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

@Dippu 

Here is the content of a post by @SeanD  dated 18/06/2021

I cannot find the actual thread, as this was from my RSS feed and the link is now invalid.

Quote "I think for the first time ever we are in a situation whereby the speed you can now get through Full Fibre outperforms the capabilities of many devices.  

The Smart hub 2 does not come with Wi-Fi 6 but this is something we are looking to include in our next generation of Hub.  I don't have any info as to when we will launch a new router by Wi-Fi 6 will bring some improvement.

As an example of what I mean in terms of devices not being able to support the full breadth of speed available on Full Fibre 900, take a look at the table below.  This is just for a couple of Apple Smart Phones and Tablets along with  popular Samsung models,

Apple (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPHONE SE Yes 60mbps 300mbps
IPHONE SE 2020 Yes 135mbps

600mbps

Samsung (Smartphones) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-s10e Yes 135mbps 600mbps
galaxy-s10-5g Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Apple (Tablets) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
IPAD pro 3rd gen (Nov 2018) Yes 135mbps 600mbps
IPAD pro 4th gen (March 2020) Yes 135mbps 600mbps

Samsung (Tablet) Dualband (2.4 & 5Ghz) Theoretical Max speed on 2.4Ghz connection Theoretical Max speed on 5Ghz connection
galaxy-tab-s5e Yes 100mbps 300mbps
galaxy-tab-s6 Yes 60mbps 600mbps

Ethernet should ensure you get the maximum possible speed but I also appreciate that connecting this way is not always possible.

I myself am not yet in an area with Full Fibre, I get speeds of around 11Mb, although I can't complain really as I do leave quite rural.  I have to suffice with looking at Cows and Sheep from my living room window instead of enjoying UHD content being streamed to my TV ☹️    I live in hope though.

Cheers

Sean

"

Message 5 of 10

@Keith_Beddoe  Thank you for your response, very useful information. I have iPhone XS and on WiFi it gives better results than on Ethernet with PC with i7 processor, but no where near expected speeds and I did expect loses but no so much.

So since the new contract is only £1.00 more per month it's not too bad. At least I have a Broadband that my visitors can enjoy who have better devices than I have!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

@Dippu regardless of whether you're connection via WiFi or Ethernet, the speed that the individual device can handle is limited by so many different hardware limits. 

The speed you that any ISP quote or guarantee is to the hub and not individual devices

Message 7 of 10

Recently upgraded from 500 to 900 FTTP - it was only £1.

Speed before averaged 475/85 and is now 540/130 which is rather less than I was expecting. Still, it was only £1 a month...

John

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@JohnBateson what is your min speed guarantee? I'm on the 900 FTTP service with a min guarantee of 700 Mbps - I would be asking questions of BT..
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

The alleged speeds are 900/110 on the contract with a guaranteed minimum of 700.

The download speed on the Hub software reports 1000 and the connectcion on this computer just 10 feet away is by wifi.

John

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

The hub will always report 1000, that is the GbE link speed between the ONT and the Hub. No ISP guarantees wifi speed, what speed do you get with an Ethernet connection?

0 Ratings