cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

FTTP Full Fibre 900 upload speed capped at 20Mbps

Go to solution

Hi all,

Not sure of the etiquette here, so rather than add a post to someone else's query, I'm creating a new thread. Please join this to another thread if appropriate.

We had an upgrade from FTTC (80/20) to FTTP (900/100) which finally went live on 6th December. Due to an issue in BT's backend databases, the data integrity team got involved because we were without telephone service (either PSTN or digital voice) from the 6th until the 27th. The order could not be completed until data integrity got involved (which took ages) and then finally BT could register a fault with the phone service.

When the FTTP went live we had a 50Mbit upload speed cap which I was told would clear when the order was complete. Now, it's at 20mbit and completely useless to me as the primary reason for the upgrade was to get faster upload. We have an open complaint but the complaint handler is insisting that there's nothing BT can do to help since they only guarantee 10mbit upload.

The SH2 hub is running firmware v0.30.01.08093-BTv0.30.01.08093-BT (Mon Aug 9 20:01:14 2021), board rev R01. It seems the HS2 was just rebooted as the uptime is 0 days 2 Hours 57 Mins 19 Secs

How do we get this fixed - before I flee BT to Zen?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: FTTP Full Fibre 900 upload speed capped at 20Mbps

Go to solution

There was an issue with upload speeds needing some sort of profile update for new installations but I thought that had been sorted now.

How are you testing the upload speed? What device and how connected?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings icon. If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted solution’
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

The SH2 is connected to a 10Gbit switch, to which my workstation (Linux/Xeon processor) is also connected.

Ookla speedtest. Also multiple rsyncs.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

@SimonBurley 

You will need to wait until a parameter change is sent to the SH2 via ACS. This may take a few days so you need to leave the SH2 connected and turned on all of the time,

If it has not changed after a few more days, then a moderator can be asked to help, as its possible the serial number of your SH2 is not correctly recorded on the hub management database.

The SH2 is also used on FTTC, and some time ago there was an issue with some FTTC connections dropping on excessive uploads by customers. From what I understand, changes were made to the default settings to restrict the upload speed to the network to prevent this from happening. I suspect it was related to buffer overflow due to DTE to DCE flow control issues, based on my experience working on data networks.

Now that the SH2 is being used on FTTP, this restriction is not needed, so the parameters need to be changed to remove the restriction.

ACS targets specific hub serial numbers and delivers parameter changes. For example, someone may choose to opt out of BT Wifi hotspot transmission, and that requires a parameter change to be sent to the correct home hub serial number, which is why sometimes it does not work, and needs manual intervention.

Please post back in a couple of days, if the upload speed does not improve. 

Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

After another 48 hours it's not improved at all. I still get 20Mbit upload and nothing more.

Moderators, can you please step in?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@SimonBurley wrote:

After another 48 hours it's not improved at all. I still get 20Mbit upload and nothing more.

Moderators, can you please step in?

They should reply sometime tomorrow morning.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

Good morning @SimonBurley 

Thank you for your post and welcome back!  You were spot on creating your own thread for this problem.  That way, all the conversation relating to this issue is all in the one place.

I am sorry for the problems you're having with your upload speed and for the delay with your order originally.  It's clear from what you have written that you haven't had the best experience up to this point.  As the upload speed doesn't seem to be shifting we'll be able to pick up from here and sort it out.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how you can send us over your details and we'll look into this for you. See: Private messages

Thanks,

Robbie

Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Hi @SimonBurley ,

Thanks for sending over the details. I'm glad I was able to get this sorted for you. Let us know if you have any other problems.

All the best

David