cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

FTTP GO LIVE DATE FOR MY AREA

In January, a gang of workers turned up in our close and started digging trenches in the pavements. When I asked what they were doing, they said they were contracted by OpenReach to fit new trunking and fibre cabling in the ground and then up to each house's boundary. This was then being connected directly to the new fibre cabling coming from our local town Selby's exchange a couple of miles away. Within a couple of weeks of being fitted, they said we would be able to contact our provider and have the fibre cabling routed directly into our houses. This was fantastic news, as I am only getting a maximum download speed of 1.76mbps (yes you read that correctly) and nothing my current provider has done has been able to improve it, even paying extra a month for fibre in the cabinet. As a check I have asked others in my close thier speed and even from a variaty of providers none seem to get above 7mbps.

Since then I have tried to ascertain when the actual go live date for us will be, but can get no joy. Even when I have been able to contact OpenReach, they say their plans do not show FTTP even on their plans, even though I have downloaded a PDF document from their website showing Selby as FTTC/P now.

My current contract with my current provider is due to run out and so I am looking to change it, but I do not want to commit myself until I know I can get the fibre to the house. Plus, we have absolutely no indication of the cost of getting the cable from my property boundary to the house or even if it will differ depending on which provider I go with.

I know Covid-19 has caused a lot of delays so I don't expect anything to happen soon now, but this was put in months before we were in lockdown. I just want some idea as to when it might happen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: FTTP GO LIVE DATE FOR MY AREA

Academic, Openreach are not entering properties until at least June.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

'Within a couple of weeks' was probably correct enough in the past before the FTTP install was put on hold by Openreach.  I know in my area, the fibre install took around 3 months to do all the cabling in the surrounding area, once the external work was completed in did only take a number of weeks for the lines to go live to order.  However it's the next stage that is the stumbling block, even when the lines go live, you won't be offered the packages due to Openreach engineers not being able to enter your house to complete any install.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Thank you  guys for such a prompt response.

I didn't realise it was OpenReach that actualy did the work running the cable from my property boundary and into the house, so I guess it has no bearing on who I decide to re-new my contract with. I just have to look and see who can give me the best deal for what I need.

I've put up with rubbish download speeds for so long now, even if it was for another six months I could put up with that just knowing now the cabling has been put in the street, it is going to happen.

Will be interesting to see what the charge will be. Oh well, what we are saving on fuel not travelling to work in these strange times will pay for that.

Stay safe everyone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

If you are about to re-contract and you also think FTTP is coming within the new contract period you want to make sure that the ISP you choose has FTTP products that it sells otherwise you wont be able to upgrade.

Eg If you start a new contract with "Jones Internet Services" because they can offer what you have for £5 a month, if they have no FTTP products then you will be stuck with them until contract ends (or pay exit fees I guess).

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Thanks for that smithjones it didn't even occur to me that some might not offer that service.

Again you great people on here have saved me a lot of trouble.

One of the best forums  I've been on that's for sure.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

TBH you may well be best going with BT as their FTTP products are really the cheapest and when mine came available to order on the 14th March (and I had been checking everyday for years) they were the only ISP that had the products available.

ps I dont work for BT, or indeed like BT, in fact for years I hated them as they ignored our area for anything, all in the past now! (and yes I know its Openreach now that do the ground work)

0 Ratings