cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 18

FTTP High Ping 0f 30 but still good speeds

Still a very high ping ON Full Fiber to the Home with UltraFast

I have a ASUS Nighthawk Nighthawk X6 R8000 router plugin into my ont the router is about 2 years old though

I get good speeds as below but my Ping is still reasonably high is their anything i can do to help the cable i had was just one the bt openreach fella left in the ont. I just wondering why its so high when I have seen ones similar areas around 1-5 ms and sometimes 20-25 but i dont see 30 that often in most peoples test

Even at 43 I still game quite allot and the ping is annoying. Would buying a new router help u think

david39ni_0-1600482128178.png

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Re: FTTP High Ping 0f 30 but still good speeds

Have you tried pinging to a different destination on the checker.

PS: Loving those speeds.😁

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 18

@busterboy1  yeah sometimes it a couple ms below like 28 or 29 but not ever below that.

@JohnC2 Would you be able to look at my FTTP data to see whats going on with my high ping.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

@JohnC2 

As you can see blue box derry is the closest speed test area for me as I am from Belfast any suggesitons I saw your name in another thread about speed hope u dont mind me tagging please read orignal question with the type of router i have in my ont.

david39ni_0-1600512586410.png

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 18

Hi @david39ni,

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your Ping. Sadly the Mod team don't support FTTP connections, you will need to call the FTTP team on 0800 587 4787.

Thanks 

Matt

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 18

Could yyou psot the result of a tracert to BBC.co.uk?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Now that you mention it (if you don't mind me butting in)

I'm now on the 150/30 FTTP option.

And while I'm certainly happy enough with the speeds, I'm definitely getting what I'm paying for, I've been a bit curious about ping rates.

Screenshot 2020-09-19 141730.png

This is a few of my speed test results from the last couple of weeks, and to bee honest the ping rates are no different from when I was on FTTC.

All of the speed test sites I try give approximately the same results. So basically what I'm trying to say is that are these pings not what I should be expecting on FTTP?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Sorry if I'm being a pain, but these results are taken from DSL Reports test around the time I changed from FTTC to FTTP

DSL Reports.png

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

30 isn’t high ping 😂😂 try being on 2000/3000 ping mate.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 18

The biggest factor in your ping time isn't whether you're on FTTC or FTTP but where in the country you are.

All BT connections are routed through London.

So London FTTP customers can have sub 5ms pings to London based servers.

North of England can be circa 10-15ms.

Central Scotland is usually around 10-20ms.

The Highlands can be between 15-25ms.

I'm in Edinburgh and i got 16ms on FTTC and now get 14ms on FTTP.

Northern Ireland generally has the highest pings in the UK.

The ping packet has to go all the way to London and back again.

If you ping something hosted in Manchester it goes from you to London to Manchester then back again to London then to you.

Did you have FTTC before and what were the pings?

Changing from FTTC to FTTP should see roughly a 2-3ms drop in latency/ping, provided it's the same ISP with the same routing.

Speedtest.net can be slightly deceptive as the servers can be hosted within the ISP's network, never touching the wider internet.

With Virgin media on Speedtest.net i got 7ms pings to their Edinburgh Test server, but all internet traffic went through London which was around 20ms.

Try pinging bbc.co.uk, 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1 or 9.9.9 9 to see what your lowest ping to the wider internet is.

0 Ratings