Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
A7XSHadows
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

FTTP Infinity 2 Slow download, Normal Upload

Go to solution

Hi all,

I've receny had BT Infinity 2 (FTTP) installed, and on the day of installation, I was getting 200Mbps Down, 20Mbps up o nall devices, whether wired or wireless.  Over the course of 5 days, its crawled to a halt of 15.5Mbps down, but the upload remains unchanged. 

I've tried direct connection to the HH6, wireless, windows, android, Xbox One, and disconnecting all devices except a laptop (HP Pavillion G6) to test. The laptop has a clea installation of Windows 10 Professional, fully patched up to date.  I've also tested it with a Windows 7 Professional SP 1 laptop (Sony Vaio).

I have sepreated the 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz into two seperate SSID's, rebooted all networking equipment and tried testing at different times during the day.

I know that it's a new circuit, so if I speak to the Faults department, they will ask me to wait 7 days for the circuit to normalize, but it started out fast, and the upload has never changed.

Any thoughts?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: FTTP Infinity 2 Slow download, Normal Upload

Go to solution
Peak times or at all times?

I assume Infinity 3 with a 200mbps headline.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
A7XSHadows
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Webby,

Thakns - yes, sorry, Infinity 3 I typo failed!

It makes no difference what time of day.  I've run speed tests at 6am, 9am, 12pm, 3pm ,6pm, 9pm and midnight and the results are pretty much identical - 20Mb down, 20MB up.

I know about network and circuit normalisation, but that usually starts slow and speeds up over time, but this has gone the opposite waty, and the upload has stayed constantly at my max advertised speed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Have you tried resetting the router?

What about a reboot of the ONT (you'll probably have to disconnect the backip battery if you can).
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
A7XSHadows
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

I have indeed tried resetting both the ONT and the HH6 (forgot to mention that).

The ONT takes FOREVER (ok I exaggerate, it's about 10 mins) to come back up again - which to me is slightly longer than I'd expect from previous experience.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
Something doesn't seem right.

Are you able to run the further diagnostics on the BT Wholesale speedtest website and post up a result?
0 Ratings
A7XSHadows
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

BT Test1.jpg

This is the result I get.  Figures there's an error - guess I'll have to wait till it's been 7 days then contact the Fibre team.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Nah, with those speeds I'd be on the phone tomorrow.

FTTP is not like xDSL services. The connection doesn't sync as such in the same manner. It's always a 220mb connection on Infinity 3, nothing more nothing less, so there's a problem somewhere with the throughput, either in a configuration somewhere, or a hardware fault.
A7XSHadows
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for your help, Webby.

It's taken me 4 months to actually get services installed, so some internet is better than nothing, but I will give them a call tomorrow to see if there's a fault somewhere

I'll mark this as resolved

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
Please come back and let us know how you get on 🙂
0 Ratings