cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

FTTP Install Underground?

Apologies if covered before, I'm on the verge of ordering FTTP but there's no clear information about what's entailed if the fibre cable needs to be run underground. I watched the video and it just says "a cable is installed underground" as if by magic!

I live on a new-ish estate and there's no telegraph poles. I'm not totally sure where the nearest green Open Reach box is, but it's nowhere near my house.

I think the cable would need to enter via my garage, which would involve partly taking up a block paved driveway and some patio slabs. How do they route it outside my house though?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: FTTP Install Underground?

The fibre won't come from the 'green box'. It will use the same duct that your copper cable currently uses.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Ah OK. Do those ducts terminate on the street or at the premises? (It's an 80s build estate if that's relevant).

The grey box where the copper cable enters the house is in our porch. It's had a concrete floor laid such that only the copper wire comes out. I can't see how they can get anything directly to the house via a duct.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

They will probably just dig down to intercept the duct outside the house and put the CSP on the external wall.

Have a look and see if any of your neighbours have had FTTP installed.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

If you’ve built over the existing Duct and cable entry point then yes, they will have to dig outside your property in order to get a fibre cable in.

What Openreach will usually do is Track the cable before it comes into the house using a Cat and Genny. They can then dig down, break into the duct and put a swept bend onto it so they can pull in a fibre cable from the CBT.