cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

FTTP Install at remote farm

Hi, I am due an engineer visit to install FTTP and I am just wondering how they would likely handle/ tackle this installation as I currently have a phone socket and line entering the house however I assume this has been in for years and was probably installed via underground during construction. My concern is that the junction box that anything comes from is a long long way away from my premises on the other side of the farm and hence can't see there being a realistic option of running a cable from there to mine, if that is in fact what needs to be done (I apologize if this isn't what happens) I just don't really understand or see how it will or could be done.

I called BT to highlight this potential issue and felt like I was fobbed off with them saying don't worry about it we know what we're doing it'll be fine. I can just see it already the engineers face dropping when he realises the logistics and locations of everything involved?? 

Any help thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks M

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: FTTP Install at remote farm

It won't be BT it will be Openreach doing the install. If they haven't done a survey, the engineer on the day will organise one to be carried out if he is not aware of the routing. Either way, there is nothing you can do until the engineer arrives.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for the swift response. Would you recommend calling Openreach and explaining the situation etc as to run a cable from the box direct as the crow flies is a no go due to stables and yards in-between and if went around the back of the buildings etc the cable would probably be about 1km long!! If needed to call is the 0800  587 4787 number I picked up from other posts the best to use. Thanks again really appreciate your help as am clueless with this and it is quite important to try and get this to run smoothly with new job etc. M

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

You can't ring Openreach, you are  not their customer, BTRetail (your ISP) is.

The 0800 number you quote is for the BT FTTP team who can't tell Openreach what needs doing. The only person who can organise this is the install engineer on the day.

Openreach should be aware of the routing of your present connection.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

Please don't try to do Openreach's job for them, they know what they are doing. It is not your problem, it is theirs, there is absolutely nothing you can do.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Cheers everyone, I understand that it is down to the engineer on the day, let's hope all goes smoothly, this was partly my point of thinking pre warning whoever would be responsible for this might make things run smoother and I not end up in the situation I still fear will happen once he turns up and will say something resembling...if I knew the premises were all the way over there I would have done 'x' or brought 'x' with me, sorry can't do anything now we'll need to reschedule for another time etc etc.... Fingers crossed and thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

I'm afraid it may well happen that the installation fails but it always will have done if it does, if you see what I mean. Unfortunately, its entirely out of your hands.

Message 8 of 11

Haha yeah I get what you're saying, it's potentially inevitable. Sorry for the total newbie question but am I correct in thinking that for FTTP it is basically two options, one being a new fibre cable ran from the box in the street 'to the premises' or secondly, potentially a cable taken and run from the overhead phone lines? This could be another option just for my own knowledge, because as you said they will find out what's what when they arrive anyway. Even from my limited knowledge I assume legacy kit and systems are pretty much obsolete... then again we all know that when you assume it only makes an...... you know the rest. Cheers

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

FTTP will be an entirely new fibre run from wherever the splitter node/CBT  is located, it doesn't come from the green box. It might be overhead or underground depending on the infrastructure at your location.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

If , as you suspect, getting you connected to a FTTP won’t be  easy,  BT simply saying because  OR say its available, don’t  worry , OR  will overcome any issues , may prove to be optimistic.

There is normally a limit on what OR will ‘spend’ to connect any residential property, AFAIR around £3400 , should the actual costs exceed this, the customer is expected to pay  the ‘excess construction’ costs, although the ‘construction’ costs are normally provided to the customer before an order is accepted ( if an address is unmatched to existing lineplant  ) rather than after , because , unless it’s part of the T&C’s, it could be argued you ordered in good faith and expect the provider should honour the initial install fee, and not increase it afterwards , it could be that your address is incorrectly shown as having FTTP available when it isn’t, BT don’t have any information apart from what is provided by the underlying provider ( OR )

What does the wholesale checker show , if you are a BT customer , your phone number can be used 

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

if you post the result, delete your phone number first, does it show FTTP as available ?

0 Ratings