cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

FTTP Install

Hello all

I have Openreach coming on Thursday to install FTTP. It’s a one stage install, box on the outside and box inside.

Where the copper comes into the house at the front I don’t have any power. From anyone’s experience will Openreach tack the cable around to the back of the house where my current router is situated as I have ample power there also.

many thanks 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: FTTP Install

Shouldn’t be a problem. Most Openreach Engineers are quite accommodating.

Contractors from Kelly’s, Quinn’s and Pickr not so much though.

Message 3 of 14

Where the copper comes in is irrelevant, to a certain extent. You will need to negotiate with the installer on the day as to location of the ONT. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

Thank you. Are they usually quite accommodating?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 14

As I said, Openreach ones usually are.

Unfortunately Contractors from Kelly’s, Quinn’s and Pickr work on Price Work, i.e. they get paid for every job they do, not a Salary like Openreach Engineers.

Therefore a lot of Contractors have the attitude of, why do 3 long jobs and only earn £150 when I can do 6 smaller jobs and take home £300.

They might use the Procedures for a Standard Install as a means to install it. Which is to fit the ONT next to or as near to the existing NTE as possible if no mains power is with 1/2m from the NTE.

Message 6 of 14

Thanks - hopefully it’s Openreach that come. I dont suppose I will know that until they turn up?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

Correct, until they turn up you won't know. Just remember what @Starwire  has said, the install must be within 1/2 mtr of a power supply.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

thanks, that makes coming through the front impossible so perhaps that’s enough to force their hand anyway!

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

I wouldn't think in terms of being confrontational and 'forcing their hand' if I were you, I would think more in terms of tea and biccies. 😉

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Haha of course, tea/coffee, biscuits and maybe some cake? 😄